Edinburgh B&B or Hotel Suggestions?

May 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Edinburgh B&B or Hotel Suggestions?

Hi there, anyone have a suggestion for a B&B or boutique hotel in the "new town" section of Edinburgh? Has anyone stayed at the Walton Hotel? My Scottish friend says it is a steep walk uphill to Princes St. from the Walton, but the price is nice. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
May 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
twk

I've booked a stay at this place, based on recommendations on this board and reviews on Tripadvisor. The only negative that I'm aware of is the lack of an elevator.

http://www.castleviewgh.co.uk/
May 4th, 2006, 01:14 AM

I don't actually know the Walton but I like the location - on Dundas Street where most of the commercial art galleries are, plus close to lots of good pubs & eateries. It is an uphill walk to Princes Street but it's not that bad - I'm very unfit & I can do it, and it's quite scenic. Plus several buses go up Dundas Street. If you get a Daysaver ticket for unlimited trips on Lothian buses (£2.30) you can just hop on the next bus when you go out. If it seemed OK in other ways, I'd stay there.

By the nature of its position, almost anywhere in the New Town - to be precise, anywhere north of George Street - is going to be an uphill walk to Princes Street.

Since you say B&B or boutique hotel I assume you don't mean at 5* prices ? The Howard Hotel is supposed to be 5* & is a smallish, quite posh and traditional hotel on Great King Street.

The Cadtle View is recommended by many people on the board. As the other poster says, though it doesn't have a lift - and *starts* at about the 4th floor.

I've seen mentions of B&Bs in the New Town before but sorry, can't remember any details. Have you looked at the tourist board's website ? www.edinburgh.org.
May 4th, 2006, 03:43 AM

Hi!

Not sure what you mean by *new town* section, but, I'll be staying at a B&B called Ingrams (http://www.ingrams.co.uk/) in Edinburgh for a night on our upcoming trip!! Price looked good and the place looks very nice. A friend of my Mother's has a sister who lives in Edinburgh and she knew of this place and had heard good things, so, we're giving it a shot!!!
May 4th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Looks good, Ginny - Northumberland Street is indeed in the New Town (and joins Dundas Street near the bottom of the hill).
May 4th, 2006, 06:30 AM

P.S. Ginny, the New Town is the Georgian area of the city centre
May 4th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I just spent several nights at The Howard last month for my first visit to Edinburgh. (The hotel is wonderful: large beautiful room, great service, nice location.) The walk up toward Princes St and the old town is more of an incline than a hill in the Nob hill sense, not steep, so I was pleasantly surprised by that; did it several times in high heels!
May 4th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Ginny, I've just had a closer look at the Ingram's website - it does look nice, but do you realise it says the prices (£50-60 per night) are *per person*, not per room ? Good if you're travelling alone but not cheap for two.
May 4th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. I've been warned by many Scottish friends that it's a dreadful walk uphill to Princes street, but if it's easier than Nob Hill, which I did in heels on my wedding night, we'll be ok! Both my husband and I are avid runners so I think if the unfit can do it we'll be alright. Besides, I've got to burn off those delicious scones somehow, right?

The Walton is 85 GBP a night for both of us, I thought that was a pretty good deal based on its favorable reviews, especially about their breakfast!
May 4th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Don't be put off by the grimy-looking coal dust-covered stone on the outside of some of the b&b's. We drove up in front of ours in 1998 and got immediately depressed. Inside it was lovely and we voted it best bed and best shower of our whole trip. Can't remember the name--maybe The Rowan Tree?
May 4th, 2006, 03:59 PM

For caroline_edinburgh...thank-you for letting me know that the B&B we'll be staying in is indeed in the *new town* section!! I did see that the rate is per person (ouch...lol)....actually there will be 5 of us on the trip...my husband and myself, my sister and her husband and my Mom. We will all be paying separately and only staying the one night! When I started looking for a B&B, it was one of the first ones that caught my eye. And from the map, it looks to be close to the train station, which is how we will be arriving into Edinburgh!!! Oh, and it was the only one (out of several others) that we contacted, that had availability for that one night for all of us!!! So we figured....what the heck!!!
May 5th, 2006, 03:00 AM

Giulia: £85 isn't bad - do let us know how you find it.

Ginny: you're welcome. Try to fit in a drink at the Cumberland Bar which is nearby and one of the best traditional pubs in town.

Anyone: where or what is Nob Hill ?
May 5th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Caroline_edinburgh: One of the big hills in San Francisco. You often see photos of Nob Hill and/or Russian Hill w/ the cable cars going straight up or down towards the Bay. Also several posh hotels (Fairmont, etc) at the top of Nob Hill.
May 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Does the Walton Hotel have showers? It doesn't look like they do?
May 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Thank-you again Caroline!!!! Always looking for a good pub!!!! ;-)