Search

Brief trip report Naples

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brief trip report Naples

Cruise report. First stop Naples

We docked early on a Sunday morning in Naples. We have already been to Pompeii Herculaneum and Sorrento so we passed on the shore excursion and set out to visit Naples central area on foot.

During my research on the forum I noticed there is a huge dichotomy of views about Naples. I saw posts describing it as “dirty, gritty, run down, crime ridden and one shouldn’t expect order or cleanliness.” Others described it as “amazing, extraordinary, magnificent and a powerhouse of culture.” This was going to be an interesting few hours!

I had researched several interesting sites but didn’t bring the info with us so we just started walking wanting to experience the city. Since it was a Sunday morning there really wasn’t much traffic nor people around. Our first stop was Castel Nuovo. I love castles and can’t walk by one without stopping in. This was a free admission day which was a bonus. Just for a moment one can imagine living in medieval times.

From the castle we walked up into the city shopping and residential areas. Now we began to see the gritty nature of the city. The buildings are 4 to 6 stories tall and the roads are very narrow. There is some rubbish on the street and it is not nearly as clean as Rome.

Evidently Saturday night is washing night because virtually every balcony and window was adorned with clean washing hanging to dry. We were beginning to recognize why people love this city because it is old and it is home for lots of people but it does have character.

We were now hopelessly lost but were heading up hill and enjoying ourselves so we kept on wandering. We set our sights on the Archaeological museum. We figured since most people were visiting Pompeii we should see all the artifacts that were found there. That was pretty special and I highly recommend this if you ever get to Naples.

As we walked back into central Naples the city began to stir. There were people gathering in city squares. There was evidence of last nights parties and for some odd reason church steps seemed to be the favourite place to leave empty beer bottles. As we got closer to the center there were lots of people out for a Sunday promenade walking their dogs and just enjoying the day.

I know this was a very limited experience of Naples but it is certainly on my list of places to return to for a more in depth visit
We have firmly landed in the camp of people who think Naples is “amazing, extraordinary and magnificent.”
Just a few images of Naples

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...57661599615186
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 09:05 AM

First impressions are so important. Glad to hear you had a good one! (I did, too)
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Enjoyed returning to Naples with you...your photos are so evocative.
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 11:37 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We also enjoyed Naples recently. We spent two nights and wish it has been longer. I overheard a group of cruise ship passengers being warned by a guide not to walk into Naples, not to go beyond the Castel Nuovo near the port, so misguided.
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Another good reason to ignore the ship tours and wander ourselves.
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
What a wonderful collage of an interesting city, thanks so much for sharing that. Definitely on my bucket list.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 04:37 AM

Lovely photos! Naples is definitely on my list, too.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

progol good to hear from you again.