Edinburgh & area itinerary

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Matt

Edinburgh & area itinerary

I've got 5 nights for the northern UK and I could spend 2 nights in York and 3 nights in Edinburgh, but my wife really wants to be in Scotland, she is part Scottish. Therefore we will spend all 5 nights just outside of Edinburgh (4 days of sightseeing). I am guessing 2 days to see Edinburgh, one day for Stirling, and one day for Glasgow. If you have been to this part of the world, would you have a better suggestion for us?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Kerryanne

I haven't been to Britain yet, we are going in June this year. We will be in Edinburgh for four days. We are doing similar to yourselves but we are also touring into the Border area around Jedburgh and Kelso. I believe Traquair House is nearby to Jedburgh and is very historic, dating back to Bonnie Prince Charlie I think and well worth a visit. Looking forward to some other suggestions by experienced travellers and locals

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 03:50 AM
John

Hi Matt,

If you are going to do the five nights in Scotland; Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling are great, but they are all cities (quite close together). You may want to consider seeing a bit of the countryside (perhaps a taste of the highlands.)

A day trip to St Andrews and the sea coast towns perhaps? Or maybe a night in some quaint village in the mountains or on the whiskey trail?

In any event, Scotland is great and the people are super. Have a great time.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Keith Legg

I'm from Scotland, so maybe I can help!

It really depends what you want to do. I think you would probably need a day for Stirling - you could visit the castle and also the site of the Battle of Bannockburn (as featured in "Braveheart" - but don't look for the scenery, it was filmed in Ireland!) You could also venture into the Trossachs from Stirling too, but you'd have to skip either the castle or Bannockburn for that.

Glasgow's not so great for tourists, in my opinion. You could visit the Burrell Collection if you're into art, otherwise I'd suggest a trip to Loch Lomond instead.

Edinburgh speaks for itself, but I think you could manage it in a day. If you have a car, I would recommend St Andrews too - if you don't, then I'd give it a miss as it's awkward to get to by public transport (train to Leuchars and then a bus to St Andrews.)

If you want to venture further afield then there are some spectacular places in the Highlands, but I think you could easily fill your time as it is!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:01 AM
janis

first of all - what part of Scotland is your wife's family from? You might be able to squeeze in a visit to her ancestral village.

If I only had 4 full days I would do it this way -- rent a car for two days. Drive up to Stirling. Visit the castle for sure, but skip Bannockburn and the Wallace memorial. They are both interesting but not worth the time on this limited schedule.

So spend about 1/2 a day in Stirling and then head east towards Fife. In the next day and a 1/2 visit Falkland, the fishing villages - especially Crail, and St Andrews. Then drive back to edinburgh, turn in your car and spend the last 2 days in the city.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Matt

Thank you all for your replies. We will be driving to England so we don't need to rent a car.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:57 PM
janis

If you'll already have a car - so much the better.

But if you plan on renting the car in Scotland and then driving into England -- Visit Edinburgh first and then rent your car upon leaving the city to tour part of Scotland and then south into England. You won't need or want a car IN Edinburgh. Parking is impossible and the traffic can be horrendous. Out of the city you won't have any problems - but don't try to have a car in Edinburgh.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:21 AM
John

Hi Matt,

If you are going to do the five nights in Scotland; Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling are great, but they are all cities (quite close together). You may want to consider seeing a bit of the countryside (perhaps a taste of the highlands.)

A day trip to St Andrews and the sea coast towns perhaps? Or maybe a night in some quaint village in the mountains or on the whiskey trail?

In any event, Scotland is great and the people are super. Have a great time.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 12:59 PM
frank

If you stick to Edinburgh/Stirling/Glasgow you'll miss the highlands, which is a must see.
Miss out either Glasgow or Stirling & head for Oban.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Ann

Matt, I'd second the idea to get into the countryside, the scenery is just spectacular. We stayed just outside Stirling in November and while the museums in Glasgow, the castle at Stirling and Edinburgh's main drag were all fabulous, what we'll most remember is driving around the Trossachs into a beautiful little village called Comrie enroute to the Edradour distillery at Pitlochry. Fabulous. Highlands cattle in a field beside the road, lakes so still that you couldn't tell where the land stopped and the water began. Do see Stirling castle but don't spend any more time there with your short schedule. Skip Glasgow. Arrive at the Edradour distillery late in the afternoon if you want to tour a distillery - the smallest in Scotland, the charming staff will show you a wonderful little video about the whisky and how it's made, give you a sample to taste, and you don't have to spend a long time looking at casks. Have fun!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Tony Hughes

Janis, watch your words, please. To say parking in Edinburgh is 'impossible' is not true, and you know that too. Many thousands of cars park there every day. I know what you're getting at BUT people who dont know the city are taking your words at face value.

Matt do't feel you have to be in a different area every day. Spend a few days in Edinburgh (3 maybe) then the other 2 outside - St Andrews is indeed a good suggestion, Stirling is another.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Joe

Matt: With 5 days, I would do 2 nights in Edinburgh, then to Stirling and from there up into the Highlands toward Inverness (you'll pass Loch Ness and other scenic spots), over to the Elgin area to spend the night (lot's of B&B's). See Pluscardin Abbey the next morning, go down the Whisky Trail stopping at a couple distilleries (or more, depending on your capacity; we did three and had to take a nap), cross over to St. Andrews to spend the night in that area and back to Edinburgh for your flight home after touring the fishing villages. Skip Glasgow unless there is something you really want to see there. For five days, this will give you a look at some of the highlights of Scotland. There is much more detail for sightseeing, but this gives you a general route.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 05:29 PM
anissa

I have to agree with my mom (ann), when we were there the thing that sticks out the most is the scenery. I really loved Scotland, the country. Glasgow I could have done without, very large city and not very "touristy". Stirling was easily done in a day - we took the tour of the castle and it was I think 3 hours, if we hadn't done that we could have seen the whole thing in an hour or two (of course then we would have missed out on hearing the wonderful guide tell his ghost story - picture proof in the museum). The Wallace Monument was worth it in my book - even with the incrediably many stairs/hills we had to climb. The view from the top was breathtaking! If it is cloudy though, it prob wouldn't be as good. Although to see that magnificant sword... I could have spent more time in Edinbourgh - although mainly I wanted to go in more shops. When there DON'T miss the Thistle Chappel! If at all possible have one of the guides tell you about it. By all means though go into the Highlands. Every corner inspired us to say "oh, beautiful!" Personally I wish we had done more of that than the cities/sites etc. Also be brave and try the local "cuisine" you may be surprised. Now I wouldn't make a meal of Haggis, but it wasn't as bad as I was thinking either (and it only took us the whole trip to work up the nerve to try it!).

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Michelle

We are flying into Glasgow (FF flight not available into Edinburgh) and picking up a car. I have contacted a recommended hotel near Stirling but haven't heard back yet so our plans are still flexible on where to stay the first two nights in Scotland. I am hearing here that we could easily skip Glasgow. We are traveling with two teen sons and will end up in Edinburgh for two nights. Do you experienced travellers have suggestions for interesting itineraries the whole family would enjoy? Also, we plan to take a train from Edinburgh to London. How far in advance should tickets be purchased or reserved? Thanks for your input.