Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eclairs in carry-on bag (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eclairs-in-carry-on-bag-343603/)

scatcat Apr 14th, 2008 07:07 PM

Eclairs in carry-on bag

Does anyone know if you can bring eclairs in your carry-on? Would they be required to be stuffed in a zip-lock bag? I just want a few to eat on the flight back home.

abram Apr 14th, 2008 07:41 PM

I'd think that the custard filling would qualify as something required to be in the 1 quart baggie.

scatcat Apr 14th, 2008 07:52 PM

That's what I'm thinking. I might can squeeze two into the bag. Guess that's better than none.

Aduchamp1 Apr 14th, 2008 08:05 PM

I am not sure eclairs are on the TSA's list of explosives, but I do know salami causes gas.

jelane Apr 14th, 2008 08:26 PM

OMG this post made me laugh, especially after three glasses of wine.....I say go for it.....

jedijill Apr 15th, 2008 12:23 AM

I brought back 3 eclairs and 4 croissants in my carryon bag in March. No one said a word in either Frankfurt or Cincinatti.

Bon Appetite!

msinformation Apr 15th, 2008 05:05 AM

You probably won't have a problem but I do know someone who had her pudding cup confiscated by security, so be prepared to turn over the pastries if required. :)

GreenDragon Apr 15th, 2008 05:20 AM

Just make sure to have enough to give one to the TSO - and you should be fine :)

lincasanova Apr 15th, 2008 05:52 AM

i think it is going to depend on the agent or machine sensitivity.

no ogurt.. and i would be afraid that the creamy filling would be a problem if it is a larger than 100 ml. eclair.

i was faced with the same dilemma over a cherry strudel.. and decided not to take the risk and packed it.

good luck.

Reisender Apr 15th, 2008 06:24 AM

And it may depend on what the agents need to complete their lunch spread that day.

:)

hausfrau Apr 15th, 2008 06:28 AM

Maybe if you give the agent one of the eclairs...

Thanks for giving me my first laugh of the morning!

soogies Apr 15th, 2008 06:29 AM

It's funny but I was just looking at the TSA website for updates for my brother. The website says you may bring a pie on board. It doesn't specify what kind, but maybe you can use that as a guideline?

I was trying to think of something funny to add to this thread, but, alas, I haven't had my daily requirement of caffeine.

suze Apr 15th, 2008 07:04 AM

Just to be safe, you better put them in your checked luggage! & eat them when you get home.

bob_brown Apr 15th, 2008 07:30 AM

You might try a mix of eclairs, cannolies, and chocolate covered key lime pies. If one does not make it perhaps another one will.

I would be concerned that those things would spoil before I got on the airplane, given that they need to be refrigerated. I am not sure what the lead time is on that situation.

My helpful friend suggested taking the custard filling out before you go through security.

Possibly you could put the custard in a prescripton bottle. Or borrow a baby and put the custard in a baby bottle and pretend it was forumla.

If you could find the TSA agent who checked out my artificial hip, I think you could tell him anything.
After I rang the gong, he shuffled over, and said, "Wassa trouble?"
I said, "I have an artificial hip."
He asked, "Where 'bouts?."

Guenmai Apr 15th, 2008 09:45 AM

Eclairs have cream/ custard in them. That's more than likely considered in the liquid category. They'll probably take them away.
They took my small jar of peanut butter away, which was not liquid. This was stateside. So, now I put the peanut butter in those tiny 3-ounce, glass cosmetic jars that I get at the Container Store, and let them know that it's peanut butter, and they let it through.
I need my peanut butter as sometimes the airlines forget my vegan meal although I've reconfirmed it. Plus, I have 3 major food allergies which is in most airline food. And on my 17-hour overseas flights, peanut butter and airline rolls, have saved me more than a few times. Happy Travels!

Weadles Apr 15th, 2008 10:02 AM

I've had chocolate croissants taken from me at CDG, just to add to the fun of transiting that airport (not).