Reload this Page >

Eats Near Victoria Station (London)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:52 AM
Tom

I will be staying at the Wydermere Hotel in a few weeks; Victoria is a new section of town for me. Does anyone have restaurant recommendations in the general area?

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 08:10 AM
Jeff

Tom: We stayed on Ebury a few years ago (Ebury is a couple streets away from Victoria). I can't give you any upscale suggestions, but I can give you some quick food or informal food suggestions. As you may already know, there is a shopping mall attached to Victoria. There are some quick/convenient food choices there, particularly upstairs. Again, probably not what you had in mind, but they came in handy when we were on the run. In particular, there was an Irish pub upstairs (probably a chain), busy with locals. On (or just off of) Ebury near Victoria's bus station there is a wine bar and another pub, and (I think) a fish and chips place). We didn't try these for food, though. A block or two away from the bus station on Ebury was a pub w/ an Egyptian theme that we happened upon. Didn't look historic, but I had a nice shephard's pie there. Hopefully someone can give you some more upscale suggestions.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 02:07 PM
Judy

Hello Tom, we stayed near Victoria and found a very good Italian restaurant! It was "O Solo Mio"(at the time, no cc- just cash) and it was great! Best Bolognese sauce outside of Italy, IMHO. , Judy

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:46 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Like Jeff, I know onoly reasonably cheap places. So I add two pubs:- <BR> <BR>The Two Chairmen. Corner of Queen Anne's Gate and Dartmouth Street, 100 yards from St James' Park tube station. Useful for visits to Parliament, Westminster, the Cvabinet War Rooms, and St James' Park. Some Members of Parliament use it.Children are are welcome upstairs for lunch but not down for supper <BR> <BR>The Albert. Corner of Buckingham Gate and Victoria Street. Nearest tube St James Park. Downstairs good hot food, with spices well used, served also in the evening. Upstairs for lunches only a carvery, three courses at 15 pounds. The house beer is Courage, but other and better draught is also served. I learnt of the good food in this pub from a correspondence in this forum. <BR> <BR>I have eaten at the fish and chips place just west of the entry to Victoria Coach Station, and it is good. Indeed, it is the only real fish and chips place I know in central London. Nearly all places in the West End that say they sell "traditional fish and chips" are lying through their teeth. They have no deep fat fryer, and the receive the fish ready battered from some factory somewhere. If somebody says they have traditional fish and chips, ask to see their deep fat fryer. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 07:42 PM
joe

I ate at Bumbles, 16 Buckingham Palace Rd., when I was in London in '80 and returned in '89 and '92. I was traveling on tight budgets then and saw it as pretty grand. Actually I imagine it's not so grand, but I liked the food.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 09:42 AM
Joy

We recently returned from London and ate at Movenpick Marche, a cafeteria-style place on Bressenden Place near Victoria Station - very good stir-fry specials the night we were there. We also ate at Seafresh on Wilton Street, their fish and chips were quite tasty. Another nice place was Chimes on Churton Street, delicious meat pies and the best dessert we had in London (orange treacle tart with cream). We also went to O Sole Mio Pizzeria and Pasta Bar where my husband had the rigatoni amatriciana (pasta with a tomato based sauce) and I tried their signature pizza, la pizza sole mio, which had a fried egg in the middle (it was actually quite good but more than I could eat-when sliced it provided eight pieces). At all of these restaurants we spent no more than 30 pounds total for everything (entree, drinks & dessert).

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 09:18 AM
Ron

my wife and I just returned from London in October. we found a wonderful Tex-Mex restaurant just off Trafalgar square called The Texas Embassy, cash & cc. great food and reasonable, nearest tube was Charing Cross as I remember.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 10:52 AM
Daphna

I would like to second the person that commented about " MOvenpick MArch" I have been to LOndon many times and stay on Ebury Street next to victoria, THe restaurant is within walking distance, always fresh, great atmosphere, and reasonable. If you want to spurge, go to the four seasons, for their buffets , anyone one is perfect. <BR>happy eats. <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 01:52 PM
Tom

Thank you all so very much. My inclinations are toward the moderate to less expensive, and I will try all those mentioned seeing that this is a new section of town for me.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:17 PM
Julian

Victoria is a bit of a desert as far as decent restaurants are concerned, which is a bit of a surprise given the nature of the area. Try these: <BR>Blue Jade (Thai), 44 Hugh Street; <BR>Ken Lo's Memories of China, 67-69 Ebury St; <BR>Jenny Lo's Tea House (Chinese), 14 Eccleston St. But quite frankly there are much better pickings if you go in the direction of Chelsea, Mayfair or St James's.