Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eating with a 2.5 year old in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eating-with-a-2-5-year-old-in-paris-739934/)

iuaustin Sep 30th, 2007 01:01 PM

Eating with a 2.5 year old in Paris

We are taking our daughter with us on our trip on WEDNESDAY to the Loire Valley and Paris for a week. (friend's wedding is in the Loire Valley)

She is fairly well mannered here in the US out for dinner. We don't plan to eat out at top of the line restaurants but we do enjoy a good meal and try to stay away from chains here in the U.S.

Anything we should keep in mind? Ettiquite that is different? Will we get odd looks trying to take a toddler out at night? I am assuming no, but just want to check.

Restaurant recommendations?? We are staying by Plaza Madeleine but usually just find a place for dinner in whatever area we happen to be walking in, usually look at menus and enjoy more local crowds rather than tourist spots.

Thanks in advance!!!

annhig Sep 30th, 2007 01:07 PM

hi, iuaustin,

you shouldn't attract any attention at all. people in europe expect to eat out with their children.

you can either ask for small portion of what you think she would like or she can eat of your plate. or both.

I can't help with restaurant recommendations, but most small places should be ok.

have a great time,

regards, ann

hopscotch Sep 30th, 2007 01:17 PM

This is a problem not to happen if the kid is disciplined. We took our 2 year-old out to dinner in Paris all the time. When she became 3 in Germany she was the star of the restaurants. You are going to love it.

I do as you do -- shop the menus. That is part of the sport of being in Paris, or anywhere.

iuaustin Sep 30th, 2007 01:26 PM

Thanks everyone!

I am getting worried b/c everything that I am reading says that you need reservations in Paris. When I was there 10 years ago, I don't remember that, but again, I was on a college budget :)

Sarah

ira Sep 30th, 2007 01:31 PM

Hi sarah,

>...I am reading ... that you need reservations in Paris.

It never hurts to make a res the night before or the morning of, but if you are going out early you won't need them - mostly.

((I))

hopscotch Sep 30th, 2007 03:39 PM

Dinner time starts at 7 PM in Paris. Unless you have a specific Michelin starred place in mind don't bother making reservations. Start shopping the menus in your chosen neighborhood at 6 PM or so. You are staying on the right bank. Go across the river to the 5th or 6th and you will find a zillion restaurants.

Loveling Oct 25th, 2007 04:15 AM

I have a follow up question on this one.

I have read many posts about eating out i Paris with kids now, but I still wonder:

Is it common practice for restaurants to have stools for the little ones?

I am taking my one year old, alone, so without a common practice, I will have to bring a travellers stool. (The ones you just put on top of a grown up one)

I am NOT going to any chain for any of our meals, so by restaurants I mean restaurants:)

BTilke Oct 25th, 2007 06:52 AM

Just an FYI, a place that is not child friendly is L'Esplanade in the 7th on the corner of rue de Grenelle and rue Fabert by the LaTour Maubourg metro stop. I've been there many times on my own and had lovely service. Then I went one afternoon with relatives and their 3 yo and got a look of horror when we entered (around 3:30 pm when things were quiet). The hostess came rushing over and exclaimed: pas de poussettes! (no strollers) they let us in but weren't happy about it and we left quickly. I've since gone back on my own and they were as welcoming as on my other child-free visits.
It's an attractive place with comfy seats and a great view...but not for families.

Loveling Oct 25th, 2007 02:48 PM

up:)