Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eating at Versailles? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eating-at-versailles-386659/)

Anna1013 Jan 12th, 2004 06:28 PM

Eating at Versailles?

On our next trip, we wanted to take some picnic foods to Versailles, but I'm not sure what to take. Anyone want to recommended specific foods they take on picnic's?

We will be staying in the Marais area, but I don't know if I should stop by a street market(rue buci for instance) for some food before hand. Anyone have special shops they get food from for picnics?

crepes_a_go_go Jan 12th, 2004 06:41 PM

I have done the picnic at Versailles thingy, but the second time I went, we ate in town at a restaurant before we headed out to the grounds.

We were passing a street market en route from our hotel to the metro, so stopped and bought a delicious roti chicken, a potato casserole and fresh fruit. Big pain in the rear! All the toting and unless you are paying to go into the gardens, nowhere to eat except for the burning hot concrete.

When you leave the train station, veer to the left and go into the town. There are several restaurants, patisseries and shops on the main street. We went on a Sunday, right at lunch time. We chose the restaurant that was the most packed. It was locals dining after church. It was italian and run by a man, his wife and son. Our food was to die for! Delicious escargot for appetizer, a wonderful veal dish and glorious floating island for dessert. The owners did not speak English, but they were so gracious. The name escapes me, but as I recall, it was the only Italian restaurant on that main street, a couple of blocks from the train station.

rhkkmk Jan 12th, 2004 06:42 PM

it all depends on the time of year and the weather on a particular day....i would buy what i wanted in paris and take it with me....it would be much easier once you got there....be self-contained...its a beautiful place for picnics---you won't be alone especially if it is a sunday....

i would choose some of that wonderful ready made stuff available in so many places in paris, especially in the marais...along rud de rivoli there are tons of places....

or to simplify things, just bring bread, cheese and a sausage, plus some wine or bottled water....don't forget some pastry or fruit for dessert...

Anna1013 Jan 12th, 2004 06:53 PM

Crepes a go go... do you remember how to get to the areas with pastiserres and the restaurant you mentioned? We were either considering a picnic, or leaving Versailles for lunch and coming back.

Anyone go to a Creperie on the way to Versailles? I remember a poster mentioning it was a good place to eat, but I can't find the post.

Rhkkmk, we are going in the summer, but can you eat on the grass/grounds of versailles or is this off-limit?

crepes_a_go_go Jan 12th, 2004 07:13 PM

Firstly, the only way to get to the grounds is to pay to go into the gardens where the fountains are. Everthing outside and surrounding the chateau itself is cobblestones. Very hot to your rear on a summer day! My first trip, I was touring the chateau only, not the grounds. My second time, I did the gardens only, not the chateau. Lots of nice shady places in the gardens, but I cannot say I remember seeing anyone picnicing that day.

For the nice street I'm speaking of, when you come out of the train station, there is a McD's right across the street. In fact, it is in a little mall type thing. But look to your left and you will see a boulevard. Walk to it and go down a block or maybe two. The street is on the left.

On our way back, we stopped in a little candy shop. The candy was all handmade and looked like it was out of a picture book. I left my sunglasses on the counter, and one of the customers in the shop came running out to track me down to give them back. She looked like she had just stepped off the Paris runways, but again, so kind and gracious. I just love the little town.

wsoxrebel Jan 13th, 2004 10:21 AM

We went to a Creperie there and really enjoyed the crepes and the kir. It was recommended in one of my guidebooks and was a hole in the wall type of place. Good place, good value. I just can't think of the name of it!

JandaO Jan 13th, 2004 10:30 AM

We had a wonderful picnic on the grounds. We brought a great bottle of french wine, a baguette, cheese, meat, fruit and some pastries. YUMMY.

Christina Jan 13th, 2004 10:39 AM

I wouldn't go all the way to rue de Buci or a street market just for that. There is a great takeout/deli/patisserie in the Marais which is open every day, even Sunday, which is unusual: Flo Prestige just to the west of place de la Bastille. It's sort of on the corner of rue St-Antoine and rue des Tournelles; it's behind a cafe I like, the Cafe des Phares. They have a web site but don't know if they list what they have for sale, but you'll find everything you want, I'll bet. www.floprestige.fr

Wendy Jan 13th, 2004 10:44 AM

my mom and I brought panini that we had purchased on the way to the train station in Paris. Also some fruit and sweets. We had our picnic at Trianon. There are beautiful flower beds there and it was cool in the shade.

Enjoy!

SusanP Jan 13th, 2004 01:00 PM

Anna, There is a great crepe restaurant between the train station and the palace. From the palace, turn right back towards the train station, it will be in a plaza on your right. It's called A La Coiffe Bretonne and they have a huge selection of crepes. Ours were delicious. Enjoy!

Anna1013 Jan 13th, 2004 01:43 PM

Crepes a go go... I acutally went to Versailles once two years ago, and I remember the McDonald's near the train station. Do I face the Mcdonalds and then turn left?

Susan P... do you remember the address of the creperie? Is it in that mall type area near the Mcdonalds?

Christina... thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to try the website out now!

SusanP Jan 13th, 2004 02:56 PM

Anna, Sorry, I should have said that when you come out of the palace, go straight ahead on Ave de Paris, then turn right on Ave General de Gaulle towards the train station. The plaza is on that street on the right-hand side if you're going towards the train station. The restaurant is in the plaza, back just a bit from the sidewalk.

Of course, if you're coming from the train station, turn right on Ave General de Gaulle and the restaurant will be on the left.

wsoxrebel Jan 13th, 2004 03:04 PM

SusanP, that is the crepe place I remember being so good too.

ira Jan 13th, 2004 03:15 PM

Dear Anna,

What would you usually take on a picnic?

Paris is not without charcuteries, bakeries, wine shops, cheese shops and patisseries.

If you really can't decide what to take, ask the hotel to put something together for you and charge it to your bill.

Woody Jan 13th, 2004 06:30 PM

We visited Versailles last October, and walked to town for crepes at A la Cote Bretonne, 12 rue de Deux Ponts. (Exit the train station, cross to McDonalds, turn right and walk along the shopping arcade. There's a small square with restaurants -- its in the center). The food was good and very reasonably priced.

Woody

Anna1013 Jan 13th, 2004 11:54 PM

Anyone want to recommened any savory crepes for lunch or sweet ones for desserts at the creperie?

Anna1013 Jan 14th, 2004 10:19 AM

topping

wsoxrebel Jan 14th, 2004 01:29 PM

I am embarassed that I don't remember what I had, maybe it was the kir's fault! I just remember the overall satisfaction of it. I think I had a special which was perhaps chicken? And then we all sampled each others' crepes and then split the crepes suzette.

ealing_calling Jan 14th, 2004 04:14 PM

Yep - Versailles isn't some castle out in the sticks, it's a proper town boasting a chateau. Just have a wander through the town and check menus posted outside/ relative busy-ness inside and have a prix fixe lunch . . . less chance of grass stains that way!

Have a super-complet crepe before touring the pile of stones, and a citron-sucree afterwards - with many many bols of cidre, of course!!

crepes_a_go_go Jan 14th, 2004 04:39 PM

Yes Anna - face McD's and then veer left. I just love the town. I might spend a day there next time, without a trip out to the castle.