Eating at Covent Garden Market

Feb 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Eating at Covent Garden Market

Are there food stalls (that are cheap, at least so-so in taste, and SAFE to eat at?)

Yeah, now I am down to my last four weeks til we go, so am obsessing over tiny details.
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Covent Garden is no longer a flower market with stalls. It is a complex of shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants. They are like restaurants anyhwere else in London.
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:15 PM

I slightly disagree with janis' post. While Covent Garden is primarily as she has described it, there is a small market with stalls held every day under cover across the plaza from the opera house. It's known as the Apple Market and focuses on art/crafts. No street food though. Try Neals Yard Bakery for some walk around food. Also, across the intersection from the Covent Gardent tube station is a Marks and Spencer which has some great take away sandwiches, salads and other prepared foods.

Obsess away Heather and have a great trip.

Feb 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM

oh yes, Neals Yard and the cheeses!
I remember a nice little Italian restaurant and the Valerie Pattiserie ...ach! I cannot spell tonight~
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:15 PM

I meant no food stalls or street vendors since that is what Heather was asking about. As obxgirl says there are stalls selling all sorts of merchandise - just not street food . . .

Except maybe for roasted chestnuts over the holidays.
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Oh, now I am embarrassed. I actually meant Camden Lock Market, and that is the second time I have gotten the names of them mixed up.

Feb 13th, 2004, 05:51 AM

No problem. There will be PLENTY of vendors and food stalls at the Camden markets. All varieties and cuisines. I had some great Indian and my daughter loved the roasted corn on the cob. Is it safe? Well I guess you always take a bit a of risk with street food but I'd almost certainly eat there again.

I almost added this to my message last night but since you asked about Covent Garden, I thought it might be TMI.

Feb 13th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Camden Lock vs Covent Gardens: How did you choose? I want a market for Sunday and was going to choose Covent Gardens because we could walk from our Russell Square hotel. There are so many choices, but Portobello Road is open Saturday, not Sunday.

I'm not looking for anything to buy, I just want some "street life" and activity for a couple of hours.
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Covent Garden really is primarily as janis described it and not so much about the market which is small compared to most of the others talked about on this forum. It wouldn't take you anywhere near a couple of hours to walk the stalls. The shops are mostly open on Sunday which isn't always true elsewhere in London so that might make it a draw for you.

Camden would definitely be good for a couple of hours of street life. If you go, go early as it gets really packed as the day goes on. I like visiting Spitalfields on Sunday morning. It's not as funky as Camden and not as busy either.
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:11 AM

For Covent Garden street eating, there is a little shop there that sells many varieties of delicious pasties. Sorry, don't remember the name, but they have a take out window on one side, and the other side is a tiny café if you'd like to eat in.
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:33 AM

As has been said there are many stalls in the Camden Market area - especially if you go over the bridge (past the lock), onwards under the railway bridge, and then enter the market through the gate in the tall brick wall - there's one of the many areas of food stalls right there.

Alternatively there's a nice crepe restaurant (which also does other french dishes plus sandwiches) just past the lock on the right hand side.
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Do they all (Camden Locks, Covent Garden, and Spitalfield) have buskers (street performers)?

Are the areas equally nice to be in?
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:47 AM

You will find a plethora of buskers at most any market, at least in my experience. It seems to me that Covent Garden may have requirements for their performers and some of them are better than a few professionals I've heard. The "pit" often has classical groups of college-age musicians some of whom are top-notch, but I've only seen them performing at night and I don't know if they're around during the daytime.

Of course the motherlode for street food and musicians is Saturday afternoon on Portabello Road, but that's another story...
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I've seen many more at Covent Garden than at Camden... I don't really recall any there... and I go to both often.

Can't comment re Spitalfields, haven't been for years.
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:02 AM

I don't recall buskers at Spitalfields or at Camden Market but that doesn't mean they weren't there. I do remember lots of loud music coming from the, uh, alternative clothing stores.

I agree that Covent Garden has higher quality street performers. Maybe because it's a more heavily touristed area?
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:15 AM

there are actually a few Patisserie Valerie bakeries in London, the closest to Covent Garden would be Soho. and YES it is worth the stroll from one place to the other.
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:29 PM
vcl

While visiting Covent Garden, take a couple of minutes to walk around to the front of St. Paul's Church. The churchyard is a wonderful, peaceful oasis and the handsome Inigo Jones building contains a wealth of memorials to British theatrical figures.
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM

The little pasty shop at Covent Garden is called the West Cornwall Pasty Co. It was great! Around Christmas I had a pork and apple pasty and my friends had lamb and mint. YUM! They also had vegetarian ones. You can eat inside or take away.
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Thanx for jogging my memory, shadowcat! Yes, it was West Cornwall Pasty Co. at Covent Garden. I had steak and potato, and it was so hot and steamy, I burnt my mouth. Delicious! My son and I had just seen the matinée performance of "My Fair Lady" at the Drury Lane theatre. When we came out, it was already dark, and the wind was quite nippy (Thanksgiving week). We cut through Covent Garden and decided to grab one to eat as we walked. Oh, how I wish I had one tonight!