Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eat for under 100 euros in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eat-for-under-100-euros-in-venice-302027/)

tigrlvr Feb 10th, 2008 02:00 PM

Eat for under 100 euros in Venice?

Anyone have any info on places to eat in Venice that are not touristy and in a price range of 100 euros or less? Is that impossible in Venice? will be in Venice 2/17 & 2/18/08.
I've read so many threads about dinners for 200-300euros it scares me.
We're (mother & daughter)staying in Santa Croce on the Grand Canal but don't mind walking all over even at night. Would prefer small places frequented by locals rather than tourists.
Please let me know if you can help.

letsgo39 Feb 10th, 2008 02:10 PM

Pick up a copy of "CHOW! VENICE" "Savoring the Food and Wine of La Serenissima" by Shannon Essa and Ruth Edenbaum. I got it on Amazon for a very reasonable price.There are many suggestions for restaurants and bars in Venice listed at reasonable prices.It comes in paperback so it is easy to carry.

tara3056 Feb 10th, 2008 02:19 PM

You will have no problem at all in finding dinners, very good ones even, for under 100 Euros for 2.

If you click on my name, you can find my trip report that includes detailed restaurant notes from my time in Venice. I can tell you that we *loved* Vini da Gigio (and spent more than 100E there, but that was because it was at the end of our trip and we treated ourselves to an expensive bottle of wine; the food itself was reasonable) and enjoyed (though not as much as VdG) La Zucca.

At both VdG and La Zucca, there were locals, but there were tourists also. Maybe a 50/50 mix on the nights we were there. Venice's tourists so far outnumber her locals that almost any restaurant that isn't too far away gets tourists; it doesn't mean that they aren't wonderful places to eat with delicious food. In February, though, I think you'll probably be seeing a much less heavily touristed Venice than most get to see when they go in high season.

eli297 Feb 10th, 2008 03:21 PM

Osteria da Alberto
Cuisine: Traditional
Menu Price: 25 Euro

Send to a friend
Print
Give your opinion
add to my favourite restaurants
add to my restaurants to visit
Address:
Calle Giacinto Gallina Cannaregio, 5401,
30131 Venezia (see map)
Telephone: 041 5238153

hi, i am italian, i went in this restaurant with a friend from venice, it is absoultely fantastic !!! have fun there !!

ira Feb 10th, 2008 03:26 PM

Hi T,

Is that pp or for two?

We like Alla Madonna - near the Rialto Bridge.

((I))

tuscanlifeedit Feb 10th, 2008 05:21 PM

We ate very well in Venice for under that. Here is a link to my October trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...edit&fid=2

NeoPatrick Feb 10th, 2008 05:28 PM

Venice is filled with tourists all year. Many of those tourists are some of the most "savvy" travelers in the world. If you find a place with no tourists, it's probably not very good, because the discriminating tourists will have discovered it long ago.

Sorry, that's a simple but true fact of life. I know we all like to think that no other tourists have the discriminating taste that we do, so we will be the only ones in a really wonderful restaurant, but that just isn't the way it works.

But a few of my favorites in that price range --

Trattoria da Remigio
Ristorante San Stefano
Do Mori (across the Guideca)
Masaniello at Campo Stefano

Travelnut Feb 10th, 2008 05:36 PM

If you are not a big seafood fan, <b>La Bitta</b> serves only meat dishes. It's on Dorsoduro, just the far side of Campo San Barnaba. Reserve or starve.

Address: Calle Lunga San Barnaba, Dorsoduro 2753/A, Venice
Phone: 041/5230531
Credit Cards: No credit cards
Closed: Closed Sun. No lunch
Metro: Ca' Rezzonico

rialtogrl Feb 10th, 2008 07:10 PM

There are excellent suggestions here already - I also love La Zucca (which is convenient since you are staying in Santa Croce), Vini da Gigio and da Alberto and all of these should easily come in under 100 Euro unless you order a really expensive bottle of wine.

Just make sure you call ahead and reserve at all three of these.

Have fun!