Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easyjet - free carryons - what restrictions on baggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to fly on Easyjet and they state that carryons are free. I am wondering if the carryons restrictions are different than the bigger airlines that I am used to. If we are evaluating and comparing the transport options, I don't want to miss any costs.

Thanks,
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Doesn't their website give you the specific rules and restrictions (size, weight, number of items)?
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM

Of course it does -

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html

- scroll down to 'Hand baggage'.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes they are different than major carriers.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:41 AM

I took Easyjet in the summer.....only ONE item allowed as hand luggage
I had to stuff my purse into may carry on.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:33 AM

There is size limit but no weight limit. The stipulation is you should be able to put it into the overhaed bin without assistance.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM

I'm fascinated by which airlines these "bigger" and "major" carriers are.

Just two airlines in the world have ever carried more international passengers than Easyjet did last year: Ryanair and Lufthansa.

Easyjet carries about twice the number of international passengers minor, US domestic centred, carriers like American do, and more than real global airlines like Air France, KLM or BA. No other US airline caries even a third the number of international passengers Easyjet do.

The significant question is "how do the weird policies of US airlines differ from real airlines like Ryanair or Easyjet?"
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There is size limit but no weight limit. The stipulation is you should be able to put it into the overhaed bin without assistance.>>

they have special measuring gauges next to the departure gate [and elsewhere]. i fell foul of this once when the wheels of my carry-on bag meant that the bag wouldn't fit, and they made me pay to put it in the hold. so I am now very careful about measuring any bag it make sure it fits.

however easyjet are generally very easy to deal with - eg unlike Ryanair you can "pool" your baggage allowances [ie if there are two bags between 2 of you, you look at the total, not what each of them weighs] and once you're on the plane, no-one cares if you've got two or more bags.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:14 PM

When I flew Easyjet , ther were no seat numbers assigned
I guess one has to pay extra for it or feel like you are on a train to Calcutta.
Cannot say I enjoyed the experience.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM

Easyjet are now offering allocated seating on some routes. Recently flew from Glasgow to Paris and were offered it. They are a pretty good airline anyway, infinitely superior to Ryanair.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM

That's very interesting, I never would have thought they carried more international passengers than Air France, etc. Because Air France not only has long-haul flights from North and South America (and maybe other continents, don't know), but also many international flights in the same sense Easyjet does, such as to Spain or Italy, etc.

IN any case, they do have smaller airplanes and that could be pertinent to this question. I've flown Easyjet and liked them a lot. And they certainly do have fewer planes than "major" airlines like Air France, so it is amazing they can carry more passengers if they have a smaller fleet than many other airlines, and smaller planes.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:25 PM

If you go over the weight or size limit, do they charge you more on the spot or refuse to let you fly?

What are the typical excess costs if they allow you to fly?
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

I decided It would be safer to pay the baggage check fee of 14 Euros. If bags are to big at the gate it will cost 40 Euros. Given how inexpensive the flights are, it is a small price to pay.

Thanks for all of your help!
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM

14 euros is cheap for a bag check.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Reviving this thread to see if anyone can answer. Our carryon bags seem to be 2 cms too big if I go by Easyjets carryon size of 56 cms. Is this enforced? We are booking flights and would rather pay the checked baggage fee now rather than at the gate. But if our bags will pass, I would rather not pay it.

Thanks.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM

It really depends how sticky they are being. I have never had to measure my carry on, but they do have the means to do so at the check-in gate so if they ask you to I suppose they could force you to check it...sometimes it comes down to who is serving you and what kind of day they have had.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never had to use the check-in gauge and I've never seen anyone forced to check it, these are sensible people not Ryanair. The gauge seems to align with the overhead locker (in the US the lockers are much bigger as the floor of the planes are lower.). So the critical measurement is the long dimension (i'd call it the height when parked ready to be pulled around), if they cannot force the door closed they have a problem and it needs to go in the hold. I've not seen what happens then.

One trick I've pulled is to not load it like they ask (which is handle to the centre) but handle to the outside, that seems to give around an extra 20mm or so due to the curvature of the aircraft body allowing the handle to tuck out the way. No promises but that works for me.

Hope all that mindless detail helps
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM

Have you left yet?

If you don't have soft-sided, crushable carryons, buy them, or mid-size backpacks. They don't have to be expensive because they don't need to be terribly durable or long'lasting. Since you are already paying to check a bag, and are unlikely to go over what you paid for, before you take your Easy Jet flight, stuff as much stuff as you can into your checked bags so that the crushable carryon bag will absolutely fit in any "measurement" box.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information-I just paid the fees for checking four bags-it s worth the peace of mind of not worrying whether the bags will fit.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Hi, I found the no seat designation at check in really weird. Really, at that point didn't see why not. Also my husband pointed out that in case of a disaster that a confirmed seating arrangement is very useful.

When boarding we found out that while no seats were reserved, there was an alternate line for those who paid more to enter first and therefore have first choice of seats. Again weird. But damn cheap so there you are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -