Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Easyjet flying (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/easyjet-flying-949897/)

oriole1251 Sep 9th, 2012 05:12 PM

Easyjet flying

Hello friendly people, my wife and I are planning a 20 day Europe trip. Madrid, Paris, Venice and Rome. My ques. for flying between countries ex. Madrid to Paris to Venice to Rome. Does Easyjet fly out and arrive at all major airports I've listed? Any suggestions would help Thanks.

isabel Sep 9th, 2012 05:29 PM

http://www.easyjet.com/en

Their site is very easy to use. They fly to all those cities.

Michael Sep 9th, 2012 05:53 PM

Or for possible alternative: http://www.skyscanner.com/

justineparis Sep 9th, 2012 07:54 PM

I have used Easyjet and Vueling, both are good. I check the prices on both websites and go with the cheapest. I just flew Vueling from Nice to Barcelona this summer, and a few years ago flew Vueling from Paris to Rome. I used Easyjet to fly from Barcelona to Paris. Just look on websites , enter your information and they will tell you if they do the routes you want .

thursdaysd Sep 9th, 2012 07:56 PM

But watch out for the added fees. By the time you check a bag and pay by credit card it can be cheaper to fly a national carrier.

SloJan2 Sep 9th, 2012 10:28 PM

Also compare them to the standard carriers. If the price differential is not that great, opt for the standard carrier as you won't get caught by so many fees.

chartley Sep 9th, 2012 11:04 PM

From November 2012, Easyjet are changing to allocated boarding. You can choose which seat you want (and pay a small sum for the privelige) or be allocated a seat at check-in. At present, a limited number of passengers can choose priority boarding (at a a higher price), but the arrangements to get them onto the plane first don't always work out.

The Easyjet site is simple to use, and there is no problem with doing atrial booking to see what the total cost would be before you commit yourself. You do have to decide in advance how many bags you want to check, but that is not hard to do.

By the way, for those of us who live in provincial cities and travel to other provincial cities, the low cost airlines are much more convenient than those airlines which use major hubs. We can be home from our local airport within 30 minutes of landing.

Anna_Galea Sep 10th, 2012 12:49 AM

Ryanair also does low cost flights to many countries in Europe (even internal flights).

bilboburgler Sep 10th, 2012 01:03 AM

There are a range of cheepo flight companies in europe. Ryanair has a much deserved reputation for arriving on time, making its customers feel like cattle and flying to airports that are only generally near the city that they are named after (think landing in the Azores for New York).

Easyjet Jet2.com seem to have come out as acceptable models based in the UK

Cathinjoetown Sep 10th, 2012 01:31 AM

Some easyjet routes offer assigned seats, some offer speedy boarding (first on), at a price. The good news is they strictly enforce this so unlike Ryanair and others, if you pay for speedy boarding, you get it.

You can take one free carryon, unlimited weight but restricted size and of course you have to be able to put it in the overhead bin yourself. There are fees for checked luggage and weight limit is 20kg. Going over 20kg incurs another fee.

I fly easyjet 4-6 times a year between Toulouse and Paris or London. On those routes they use Orly and Gatwick. The flight attendants have been helpful and pleasant.

For point to point I generally find them cheaper than BA or Air France but depends in part on the add-ons.

Dukey1 Sep 10th, 2012 02:19 AM

It also depends on the route. Lat year we flew between London and Berlin and as it turns out, it was cheaper (and with a larger checked luggage allowance to fly from Heathrow (as opposed to other airports) using British Air than it was to use EasyJet which I have used in the past and was very satisfied with.

You could use the whichbudget or the skyscanner sites to check but you can also use the Kayak.com site to compare prices on non-budget airlines.

chartley Sep 10th, 2012 02:54 AM

Why don't people check their facts before posting?

From November 2012, ALL Easyjet flights will have allocated seating. See http://www.easyjet.com/en for details.

thursdaysd Sep 10th, 2012 04:54 AM

And speedy boarding may just mean you're first on the bus to the plane, not on the plane itself!

justineparis Sep 10th, 2012 07:08 AM

I find it interesting that people think the "added fees" of a discount airline can add up enough to make taking a major carrier a good deal. My experience has never shown that!
First these "extra fees" are usually pretty cheap, to check a bag in for Easyjet or Vueling the price if prebooked online is only 11-25 euros. And things like the insurance and assigned seating are cheap and optional!
I looked at Air France for Paris to Rome. It was 300 euros. Even with checked bag fee and taxes my flight on Vueling totalled 80 euros. How hard is it to go on these airline sites and go through a phantom booking and see the complete total price at end,, VERY EASY.. So , spend a few minutes doing that first.

Agree that one needs to be careful with Ryanair, they use very inconvenient airports,, for Paris they use Beauvais, which is 90 kms away and there is no direct train transport into city. Time and cost higher .

Frankly for a one hour flight, if not flying with children, is it really too much of a risk to not pay for allotted seating and maybe end up not sitting next to travel companion?
If one is not picky about where one sits its pretty easy to find a seat beside partner, and as I said, these are short flights so worst case scenerio is not really that bad. One exception may be passengers over 6 ft tall who may like to pay for a seat with extra legroom, like bulkhead, but even then, having experienced my 6'4" ex hubby put up with cramped seating on 12 hour flights, can't imagine a one or one and half hour flight would be that big of a deal.

thursdaysd Sep 10th, 2012 07:31 AM

@justineparis - my experience differs. I found it cheaper to fly TAP, the Portuguese airline, than Easyjet for flights to/from Portugal. That's with checking just one bag and taking none of the other optional extras. It's important that people don't just look at the initial price, but figure out all the additional fees.

justineparis Sep 10th, 2012 10:26 AM

Ah, well Vueling is a Spanish line, but cheap, so perhaps I lump airlines together by large oversea international airlines ( Luthansa, Air France, British Airways etc) and then all the smaller airlines( Tuifly, Vueling, Easyjet and apparently also TAP etc) so it seems this is merely a misunderstanding about what I mean by smaller or cheapo airlines.

jamikins Sep 10th, 2012 10:40 AM

About half the time I find BA to be just about the same but maybe that's because I book very far in advance! We are willing to pay about £20 total extra on BA to avoid the hassle of the weight restrictions etc.

We just booked tickets on BA to Naples for Easter because the airport is better for us (a lot of people don't take into account costs/time getting to and from the smaller airports the low cost carriers sometimes fly to) and it only cost about £20 more than easyjet.

Another thing to consider - if there is a strike the low cost carriers give you the option of cancelling for a full refund or booking you on a different flight. But sometimes they only fly to someplaces a couple times a week. If you need to get somewhere at a given time you will need to get the refund and then pay for a ticket on another airline. BA tends to fly much more often and will just reschedule you. Way more customer service from the full service airlines...

caroline_edinburgh Sep 10th, 2012 11:13 AM

The cheapest flight I've got in the last 6 months, having used BA, bmibaby, Ryanair & Easyjet (twice) for flights between Britain & Italy was... BA. It *always* pays to check all the alternatives.

oriole1251 Sep 10th, 2012 03:01 PM

Thanks all for your wonderful replys.