Rome Termini - Restaurant for Lunch enroute to the Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving at Termini around 2:00pm and will have plenty of time to check our bags and walk somewhere for a nice lunch. Then we will be off on the Leonardo Express to the airport for an evening flight.

I am looking for suggestions for a nice, casual lunch within easy walking distance from Termin -- this will be on a Saturday afternoon.

Thanks to all for the help!
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:30 AM

You may have a difficult time finding a good place that is willing to seat you so late.. If you can manage it, I would suggest Trattoria Monti; you would have to find out when they stop serving lunch.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Displaying my continuing ignorance

I have been to Europe quite a few times and know that dinner is late, but I was always under the impression that lunch was late, too.

That's not the case?
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM

ekscrunchy,

I immediately thought of Trattoria Monti, but I've seen people turned away a little after 2:00 pm, even when they had empty tables.

Yes, lunch is late, but in Italy restaurants expect your meal to take some time. Therefore. if you arrive at 2:15, they may not feel you have enough time for them to serve you properly before their 3:00 pm closing. This varies from place to place.

It will take you some time to move through Termini and possibly stand in line to check your luggage.

Anither place nearby, a bit more casual, that you might try is La Gallina Bianca.
http://www.ristorantidiroma.com/gallina_english.htm
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM
ira

Hi dw,

There is a nice self-serve resto at the train station.

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM

I don't agree.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The selfserve/cafeteria restaurant in Termini is by AutoGrill. There is a restaurant to the far left side if you are facing the trains pulling in - Roadhouse Grill. American menu of steaks.

Here's the restaurant link for Termini if you don't end up having time to go elsewhere.

You could always hop on the subway. Cavour stop (1 stop from Termini)is just a couple of minutes away and Coloseum just one more stop. There are a couple of restaurants there overlooking the forum. If you get off at Cavour instead, cross the street and go down the steps on the other side to via Leonina. Several restaurants there and the return subway entrance is right there too - no need to cross back over Cavour. One is La Cicala Formica that someone else on Fodor's posted last year. 10€ lunch menu.
http://www.lacicalaelaformica.info/ricette_ing.htm
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 02:55 AM

Some countries in europe dine late but have never found that in Italy. 8 or 8:30pm seems normal - just like here.

As for lunch, many people eat at 1 or 1:30 - but since the restaurants don;t stay open all day - they want to be able to feed you and get you out by 3 pm - not easy if you don;t start eating u ntil after 2.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 03:36 AM

Opps! Here's the link for the map of restaurants in Termini.
http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/i...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 04:02 AM

Thanks, KY. When I wrote above I meant that I do not agree with Ira that there are "nice" restaurants at the station. Guess it depends on one's definition of nice...
I am not a fan of Autogrill and its ilk!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 04:34 AM

I had a very basic salad there a few weeks ago and it was 5€. The pastas didn't look very appealing and I thought overall things were a bit pricey. The name on the cafeteria (it's upstairs) is not Autogrill, but my receipt said Autogrill.

dwzemens - I do think you will run into the time of day problem. By 2:30 there aren't many restaurants willing to seat you.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 05:43 AM

I think the eating places in the station are under the banner of a large "hospitality group" of the type that provides food for stadiums, airports, etc....but I do agree that the timing may be an issue...there must be someplace around there, though.

Old Oct 16th, 2008, 06:06 AM

The Chef Express group is indeed run by what eskrunchy describes - the Accor Group i believe that has food service both in stations and on some trains - but i think their cafeteria-buffet in Termini is a really nice place with typical Italian food.

(Coming out of the train you walk to the middle part of the station and it's on the far right near the eastern exit)

And the restaurant have ample seating for travelers seeking a place to sit and part of Rome's ancient walls are actually a part of the restaurant

should be open all afternoon i think but not sure
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM

dwzemens - sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with your question, but I couldn't help but smile at the discussion about the cafe in Termini. The first time I was in Rome (decades ago!!) it was July and Rome was having a real heat wave. Temps were well over 100F every day. Our budget hotel of course had no AC. The only place we could afford to eat that had AC was that cafe in Termini. Can't tell you how many times we ate there. It always seemed to be open. Food was OK (as I remember), but that AC was wonderful!

Thanks for letting me digress.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM

I have eaten often in the Chef (changed names - could be called La Piazza?) - anyway this cafeteria where very very typical and to me well prepared enough food is displayed before you to chose from. Wine by the carafe - no no waiters and nothing fancy but down-home Italian food IMO

and you can just sit there forever if you want afterwards
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM

I don't think they are all operated by one group. Autogrill (Ciao is the cafeteria by them at Termini and they also have the fast food pizza Spizzico) seems to be under a different corporation than Chef and Roadhouse (Gruppo Cremini). There are also other unrelated places to eat (McD's for example) in Termini.

Back to where to eat outside Termini. There seemed to be several places at the Cavour metro stop (on via Cavour)within a block or two that served all day. There is also an upscale grocery with a wonderful deli within a block of the Cavour stop.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM

If you can get to the historic centre, Obika is open through the afternoon; there may be others like that but I don't know them.

http://www.obika.it/english/dovetrovarci_roma.html