Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Easy" train or car day trips from NW Tuscany?

Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

I am reviewing the postings here and am looking for advice of day trips that won't be all driving or sitting in a train. We are staying in Petrognano - NW tiny Tuscan village (closest train station is Pescia, and closest city is Lucca - both about 30 minutes from the house). Last year we did the 1st year trips of Cinque Terre, Pisa, Lucca, Florence and small cities near the house. This year I'm trying to gauge the ease of getting to Siena, Parma, Modena, Lerici, Montalcino and Montepulciano as day trips by car or by train via Pescia and still having time to enjoy the towns - or perhaps overnight trips. Can someone provide advice on the ease of getting to these towns by car or train and what you liked/disliked about each as a day trip? What we like is great food, food markets, cooking classes, sampling wine, great architecture but not museums.

Two cents? Ciao! Fritch
Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:37 PM

I looked at the Google map and it seems to me that you are quite far from lots of the things you are interested in, although you could do some trips around Chianti. Modena, Parma, etc are too far away, unless you took an overnight trip. Although it doesn't fit your interests the coast north of Pisa is attractive. Carrara, where the white marble comes from. Boca di Magra the peninsula at the mouth of the Magra river is a pretty drive and there are some restaurants along the shore facing the Carrara mountains, which look like they are covered with snow, but it's actually the exposed white marble the mountains are made of. There is a very good restaurant in Pietrasanta (a town next to Carrara) called Trattoria da Beppino, at Via Valdicastello Carducci 34. you have to map it, as it is hard to find, but asking in town will probably get yup directions.
Aug 24th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Carrara sounds interesting - beyond food and wine, coastal cities are always great. We liked Cinque Terre - thus Lerici is on our list based on a NY Times article. Thanks for the input! I know Petrognano is very remote and we are considering overnight trips so that we can hit more than nearby towns on our return trip without driving all day. May try to hit Parma and Modena on an overnight back to Bologna where we are flying in and out of.
Aug 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Why don't you stay two nights in Bologna when you first arrive? Or is it too late to change your reservation?
Aug 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM

I like charnees' suggestions. If you enjoyed the Cinque Terre, then when you visit Lerici also visit nearby Tellaro and Portovernre. Sarzana is also a nice town to visit and near Lerici, but not on the coast.

I am afraid that day trips to many of the towns you mention will be too long a day. You might want to explore in depth the mountain region just north of Lucca. It's quite beautiful.
Aug 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Charnees - we are staying at a friend's house for 2 weeks so we can add whatever stays we want before, during or after our stay at the house. I was planning on staying in Bologna on our last night since we depart at 7AM but maybe I will increase that to 2 nights.

Zoecat - I will check into your suggestions. All options are open. I'm okay driving a couple of hours each way - I was just looking to avoid being in the car all day and seeing each city for one hour. We took a number of day trips to Florence via Pescia, so train is also an option. I need to check out routes from Pescia to see where they go besides Florence.