Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Easy to grab a cab at 4 am in Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/easy-to-grab-a-cab-at-4-am-in-florence-585533/)

fishee Jan 26th, 2006 05:53 PM

Easy to grab a cab at 4 am in Florence?

I'll be in an apt near Piazza Santa Croce and I'll need a cab to get to SMN train station by 4:15 am. Do I call the cab company the night before -- I can memorize how to ask for a cab in Italian but if they have questions, I won't understand a word. This is the probem with not having a hotel concierge... will this be a problem? I don't want to be dragging my luggage behind me at 4 am running to get to the station 1.5 km away if the cab doesn't show up... any suggestions?

gertie3751 Jan 26th, 2006 06:02 PM

Might be an idea to change location for your final night and book yourself into a hotel within easy walking distance of SMN.

fishee Jan 26th, 2006 06:41 PM

Thanks -- it would be difficult for me to move since I'm only in florence a few nights as it is. I'd feel like I'm losing precious time (and energy...) packing and moving to re-check into a hotel. Is there anything I can do short of switching my lodging options? Is there a 4* hotel near Piazza Santa Croce with a 24 hr front desk -- could I just run in and ask them to call me a cab?

LoveItaly Jan 26th, 2006 08:15 PM

Hi fishee, the telephone numbers for the two main taxi companies in Florence are: 055-4242 and 055-4390.

I assume you will have someone at the desk where you are staying the day before you need to leave to be at the SMN train station at 4:15am as you you will need to make arrangements to be checked out.

Have them call either of these taxi company numbers and make arrangements to pick you up at say 3:45am. Best wishes.

yayoye Jan 26th, 2006 08:39 PM

Most of the time the people answering the cab phone lines do speak English. The earliest I've called for a cab is around 5 in the morning - got someone who spoke English and the cab came in about 5 minutes. You could ask your rental place to call for you in advance - I find that you need to have someone who speaks Italian call in advance, otherwise they tell you to call just before you need a cab. There is a taxi stand at piazza Santa Croce, but I wouldn't count on finding a cab at the hour at the stand. Calling is your best bet.

SusanP Jan 26th, 2006 08:46 PM

Since you are staying at an apartment and most of them require you to pay the total amount due at check-in, there probably won't be anyone there to check you out and call you a cab. I have to say that in 18 days in Italy in Sept, the only time I had any time not knowing Italian was getting a cab in Florence, and that was just to go to a restaurant. I would definitely talk to the people you are renting the apartment from and ask them to arrange it for you ahead of time.

SusanP Jan 26th, 2006 08:48 PM

Of course, I meant to say that the only time I had trouble in Italy not knowing Italian...

ira Jan 27th, 2006 08:02 AM

ttt

fishee Jan 27th, 2006 10:31 AM

I'm concerned about having to rely on the landlord since if the cab doesn't arrive, I don't want to call her at 4 in the morning -- and who knows if anyone would even pick up the phone at that hour. I'm tryin to book a room at Hotel Europa instead (rates of 70 euro/night)-- they sound very service oriented and live on-site (I think) so if something goes wrong, there's someone there. It also doesn't sound too far -- maybe a 10 min walk to SMN station? I'll take the cab #'s with me -- thanks.

gertie3751 Jan 27th, 2006 12:42 PM

Get your train ticket the day before!