Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easy to buy a SIM card in FCO on arrival?

Mar 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I have one phone. Our kids (older teens), arriving on an earlier flight, have another phone. Both phones are tri-band, bought on ebay, and seem to work fine. We just need to get them set up on arrival so we can contact each other.

I'm wondering where in FCO airport SIM cards are sold. Has anyone done this lately and can advise me if it is a straightforward process?
Mar 15th, 2007, 04:06 AM

I have not done it myself (I just use my own -Dutch- mobile and sim-card to caal in Italy).But still some advice:

Do you plan to use your own sim-card to make calls? Then I would check : www.gsmworld.org for roaming information.

If you want to buy a (prep-paid) sim-card in Italy; the Wind-operator is said to best, beacause they don't require registration etc. You can just buy a sim-card and use it. Don't know if you can buy it at the airport though. Maybe you should check the site of the airport to see if there is an electronics-store? They will probably sell sim-cards.

Some googling gave this extra information on WIND and the possibility to buy a sim-card in the USA: http://www.valuesphere.com/Merchant2...WIND-Italy-SIM