Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Parma - great place to visit, meet friends??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 05:49 AM
bashful

We are a large group all arriving into Malpensa within a couple of hours of each other and then driving to our destination just south of Florence. Thought it would be nice to all meet half way, regroup and have lunch. Parma seems to be about 1/2 way and wondered if this would be a good stop. Also anyone recommend a restaurant where 17 jetlagged, excited folks could meet for lunch? Any other suggestions??

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Bob

The drive from Milan to Bologna is easy (straight as an arrow) whereas the drive from Bologna to Florence is more difficult (lots of sharp curves and tunnels). If you go a bit further than Parma to the "Modena sud" exit (about 35 miles further) , there's a great restaurant close to the exit (toward San Vito). The prices are reasonable and the food is great. It's called "Antica Trattoria la Busa" at via Medicina 2284. It's closed on Mondays.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:39 AM
bashful

Thanks for info Bob...I was thinking though that some folks would be arriving later than others and was looking for a nice town to "kill time" while we're waiting for each other...should we then go into Modena (or Bologna) and get together at a set time at the place you suggest?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Bob

Both Parma and Modena are nice, compact towns that would be nice to see if you only have a few hours. Parking may be a challenge in both cities though. Modena is more compact and may be easier to see in a short time frame. If you will be in the city anyway, try eating at Oreste at Piazza Roma in Modena (near the Ducale Palace). In Parma, try Antica Cereria near the river and the Ducale park. If you want to skip the cities and like cars, try the Ferrari factory and museum (Galleria Ferrari) in Maranello (only about 7 miles from the restaurant that I recommended in my original post). You may be able to arrange a factory tour with your local Ferrari dealer. Bologna is nice, but in your situation, I would pick one of the other two cities (parking is even worst there).

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Nan

Parma would probably be a good choice. The center of town is lovely, and there are many good restaurants to choose from. There are also a variety of shops and cafes to browse. Parking should be easy as well. <BR> <BR>We drove to Parma in October from the Milan airport, as my husband had a meeting there; we stayed a couple of days and I was fortunate enough to have been shown around by a couple of locals. I also enjoyed wandering around on my own before we resumed the rest of our vacation together. The people are very friendly in Parma. Have fun!