Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Easy hikes in Bernese Oberland (Lauterbrunnen area)

Easy hikes in Bernese Oberland (Lauterbrunnen area)

May 4th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Easy hikes in Bernese Oberland (Lauterbrunnen area)

We will be driving to Lauterbrunnen and staying in an apartment for 5 nights in late June. We are in our 60's. Can you recommend some easy hikes in the area or that we could drive to? Also, any restaurant recommendations in the area? We've been to Jungfrau already.
Thank you. Joan
May 4th, 2014, 07:26 PM

Hi Joan,
We have stayed twice in Lauterbrunnen, at Chalet Horner, and love the location. I would recommend the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk. You take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen. In Wengen you take the cable car up to Mannlichen and from there it is a very pleasant and easy walk to KS. On the day we went there were a group of young schoolchildren doing the walk and even one disabled gentleman riding one of those scooter/wheelchairs. That tells you how easy the walk is. Grab a little lunch at the grocery in Wengen, throw it in your day pack and plan to have lunch along the way. It is a very lovely walk.
May 5th, 2014, 03:19 AM

Loved this easy one. Grutscalp to Murren
http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/gruetschalp-muerren
May 5th, 2014, 05:26 AM

there is also the walk along the valley floor from Lauterbrunnen to the cable car station at Stechelberg, you could also deviate and see the waterfalls at Trummelbach. It's a nice flat walk near the river.
May 5th, 2014, 06:18 AM

I've even hiked down to Interlaken from Lauterbrunnen - an easy walk following a gurgling river the whole way - shop, etc take the train back up.
May 5th, 2014, 06:55 AM

Bookmarking!
May 5th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I love that you all are being very specific about how to get there.
Restaurants??
How about golf in the area? Is there a golf course you could recommend?
Thanks again. Joan
Jun 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, We are in Lauterbrunnen right now and are enjoying your recommended walks. We went from Murren to Grutsalp, walked along the valley beside Staubach Falls, got mixed up and walked from KS to Allemond((We are both sore after that one!) Tomorrow we hope to do Mannlichen to KS if the rain stops. Loving it all. Thanks again for your advice. Joan
Jun 29th, 2014, 05:49 PM

Don't forget Kl Scheidegg to Wengen is also an easy if longer walk - scintillating views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley and Murren area the whole way - a gently downhill track that bikes and 4-wheel drives can do so not scary or difficult at all - you go thru Wengen on the way and after that I believe the train gets steep so you may want to train it down to Lauterbrunnen.
Jun 30th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

You're in better shape than we are. While we loved the walk from KS towards Wengen and it is gorgeous, we had to get on the train at Allmond(?). We really felt it the next day in our calves and glutes.We took the Brienz boat trip the next day to rest. Joanw.
Jun 30th, 2014, 04:54 AM

Well yes I guess easiness is in the knees of the beholder - I was (and am) walking about 10 miles a day but it seemed so easy but will take note of that!

Search this Thread