Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Easy day trips in Serbia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/easy-day-trips-in-serbia-687678/)

Kellye Mar 13th, 2007 07:31 PM

Easy day trips in Serbia?

My 13yo daughter and I are going to Serbia this summer for a 2 week ballet intensive in Novi Sad. While she is in dance class daily, I will of course explore Novi Sad....but I don't want to limit myself to Novi Sad. I've only found one guide book that even attempts Serbia and it isn't incredibly informative. Does anyone have any good ideas for day trips I can take to keep busy those 2 weeks?
Kellye

Debs Mar 14th, 2007 05:04 PM

Kellye-How exciting for you and your daughter! I can't offer any suggestions about day trips, but I hope you write a trip report about Serbia. Also, can I suggest you look at a Bradt travel book if you haven't already done so. We've used them on a couple trips to Central Europe and found them to be invaluable.

Kellye Mar 14th, 2007 06:13 PM

I do have the Bradt guide. I guess it just wasn't as user-friendly as Rick Steves is! :-) Thanks.

Igor90 Apr 22nd, 2007 05:36 AM

I'm going to be in Serbia this summer as well(me and my father visit annually to see family and friends). From Novi Sad there are quite a few good day trips. I'll list 3 or 4 here right now and if you need more I'll be happy to help.

1. Belgrade - This one is a bit obvious but if you haven't been its still a wonderful place to go. Now while there is a lot to see, if you're going to be taking a day trip here I would recommend the usual probably mentioned in your guidebook like Knez Mihailov street for a relaxing day of sitting in a cafe and watching the world go by or buying clothes, if you're in the mood for something more historical go see Kalemegdan fortress. The place is full of tunnels and beautiful views, not to mention the Serbian outdoor war museum where there is plenty to see considering that Belgrade has been attacked numerous times. Also if you're in for something a little more cutting edge you can visit the place where young Bosnians and Serbs met to planned the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (which began WWI). There are many other sites but on a day trip those are the things you'd probably want to see first, that is unless you have a taste for communist era buildings, in which case Konjarnik and Novi Beograd will satisfy your appetite and then some.

2. Zajecar - This is a small town on the Western border of Serbia, while there are some small attractions in the center of town most people visit it to see the Roman ruins of the Felix Romuliana palace.

3. Fruska Gora National Park - If you're in the mood for a little nature Fruska Gora is a must see, a beautiful national park with a few fortresses scattered around, and it is right near Novi Sad in the Vojvodina region

I Hope this are helpful and enjoy your time in Serbia, who knows maybe we'll bump into each other.

Kellye Apr 26th, 2007 09:34 AM

Thank you so much for the detailed info Igor90! Would I do better to take a bus or train to get to these sites? I will not have a car, but I'm adventurous enough to use the public transportation! Seeing where the "spark" that set off WWI was planned is certainly something that would interest me--I'm a social studies teacher! I'm printing all of this for my folder. Thanks.

Igor90 Apr 27th, 2007 06:36 PM

You're very welcome, and as far as transportation goes I would recommend a train from Novi Sad to Belgrade, and a bus for any other trips.