COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eastern Sunday and Monday is everything closed?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:21 PM
Paty

Hello again, I have not yet decided where to spend the last 2 days of my trip either Florence or Rome. Regardles, I wonder if Museums, churches and other landmarks will be open. I am sure the Vatican will be packed. Should I avoid it?
Thanks,

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:26 AM
steve

Sorreee, most everything is closed both on Easter Sunday and Monday. Restaurants are open though.

I don't have any idea about the Vatican on Easter, but I was there on Christmas and attended the Pope's appearance, and it was just fine - they know how to handle the crowds.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:04 PM
Paty

Thanks for the information Steve.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 04:30 AM
C. Craft

Oh good, this was my question too. We're going to be near Florence on Easter. There is supposed to be a fun explosion/fireworks display at noon in the piazza next to the Duomo. I've heard to get there early to be able to see it. Thousands come in for it. I forget the historical significance but it sounded like the kids would enjoy it.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:30 PM
kathy

Vatican was packed on Easter Sunday morning...the whole city was packed - Easter Monday as well...could not even get close enough to throw a coin in the Trevi or walk the Spanish Steps...however, many streets were closed off to traffic so we walked on the street with the hundreds of others..it was still alot of fun