Mallorca Transportation

Search

Mallorca Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2013, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mallorca Transportation

We're spending a week in Deia in late June and were planning to use buses and trains and foot to get around. We don't have plans to travel much. We want to relax and stay around Deia and Soller, doing hikes and beach, with one day trip to Palma. (That plan could always change.) I found a good deal on a car rental for the the time we're there. Do you think it's a smart move to do that instead? I think we're a 40 minute hike to Deia Beach. Which we've been saying we won't mind, but, maybe, in reality, that will be annoying. Is parking in Soller and Soller port and Palma such that renting a car would be a smart move? Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Anyone Mallorca experts out there??
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 03:42 AM

Usually renting a car (when you pre-book) is pretty cheap per week on the Balears.
As many streets are narrow, you can book the smallest you can.
For Palma, I would use the bus. The combined bus fare will probably not exceed what you will pay for 5-6 hours parking in a garage in Palma. And Palma is very walkable.
As most rental car rates are the same for 5-7 days you don't lose anything if you leave your car sitting in Deia when you go to Palma.

As you plan to hike, the car will be of benefit to reach any trail head parking you want - and not just those trails accessible from the major roads by bus lines. I'd also find it a bit inconvenient to start to hike from a bus stop which is only served every 2 hours; and coming back from the hike having to wait there in the middle of nowhere for an hour till next bus comes.

I did not find parking in Soller or Port de Soller to be too demanding. The smaller your car is, the easier it will be. Nevertheless, the tram to Port de Soller is fun. You should ride that and leave car in Soller.

Some of the most spectacular parts of the island are not too convenient to reach by public transport from where you are, e.g. Cap Formentor (the "Northern hook" of the island), or the hills of the plains with the monasteries on top (great views).

Weatherwise the Tramuntana can get different weather than the plains or the Eastern coast. So it could add flexibility if you see a rain or thunderstorm front moving to just hop in the car and go to the other side of the mountain range.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Great advice. Thanks! And I assume that if we choose to see Palma on the day of our 8 p.m. flight out of there, we can easily get to the center of town from the airport by bus after dropping off the car. That would be just one other option.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 07:36 AM

Yes, that is no problem. You have a city bus connecting the airport with Palma.
Just beware that bus drivers don't carry much change, so for any trip you wish to make you should "prepare" yourself with more or less the exact amount of the fare.