Eastern Europe Itinerary

Search

Eastern Europe Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern Europe Itinerary

A friend and I are planning a trip to Eastern Europe in April of 2010. We are in the very preliminary stages, but need to secure flight reservations soon as we're using airline miles. Prague and Budapest and environs are definitely places we'd like to visit. We are also intrigued by Plitvice Lakes National Park and that area. We'll have a little over 2 weeks, and we don't need to fly in and out of the same airport. Would this be do-able? Dubrovnik sounds beautiful, but I'm thinking it would be too far south to include. We thought of flying between Ljublijana and Budapest to save some time, but the flight is over $200 and seems a little steep for the distance. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM

We drove from Budapest to Ljublijana in about 6 hours. Flying doesn't always save as much time as you would think when you add up the time getting to the airport, the 2-3-hr. before flight requirement, then procedures after landing. Before driving in Slovenia you must purchase a vignette for the car. Last May it cost 35 euro but there may be a cheaper one by now. But if you plan to drive in Slovenia, be sure to purchase one at a gas station. Vignettes are checked at several points on the motorway, and I understand there is a huge fine if you're without one. Plitvice National Park is wonderful and well worth a day or two. We didn't go to Plitvice this trip so I can't comment on driving time. www.viamichelin.com can give you estimated driving times and good directions. Dubrovnik might could be worked in if you plan to drive there, drop the car and fly out from there. Just my opinion but unless you have a strong personal reason for going there, I would skip Slovenia and include Dubrovnik if you can find a rental agency that will allow a drop in Croatia. This itinerary is doable but requires lots of driving. We enjoy driving so it would work for us, but not for everyone.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. Your comments are VERY helpful! Do you think trains or buses might work out better than driving in some areas?
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
The drive from Ljubljana to Plitvice is three hours.

Here is my trip report with photos from last year. We visited Czech Republic, Poland, Slovenia and Croatia, so hopefully it will answer many of your questions on where to go. Enjoy!

http://travelswithmaitaitom.typepad.com/travels/

Old Aug 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Tom,
You could give Rick Steves a run for his money! Your trip report is informative, interesting and humorous. Although I haven't finished reading all of it, I've been doing lots of smiling! Wonderful photography too. We will definitely search out some of your favorite spots. Can't wait. Thank you so much
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Between Budapest and Lubljana you can get a train for only 29 euro one way or 39 return, so no need to pay 200USD
You might also look at http://europetrainsguide.com for some tips on rail travel in the reion
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Daken. That sounds like a good way to go if we don't rent a car.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Personally I don't believe that Rick Steves can hold a candle to maitaitom. His trip report was one more than just informative, but so much fun to read. We all waited in great anticipation for each, the titles alone made me smile.

Maitaitom, I have the recipe for the pastry you so like. I will be in northern California during the Christmas holidays so let me know if you'ld like to talk to me. In Dubrovnik we call it "Krempita" and it is also my favorite.