Eastern Europe in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three mature women travelling to Berlin, Prague and Vienna in mid January. Questions:
1. we want to visit a concentration camp while in Prague or Vienna but not have to travel too far or have to rent a car. Any suggestions?
2. Tour of Berlin: is the best and most complete still Severin & Kuhn bus tours?
3. Advice on typical weather?
Thanking you in advance!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
In response to your first question, I took a bus from Prague to Terezin. Very easy to do. And, a very sobering and worthwhile day. I highly recommend it.

Sorry, haven't been to Berlin.

Can't comment on the weather as I was in Prague, CK, Vienna and Budapest in Sept-Oct timeframe.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Sachsenhausen camp is very close to Berlin and easily accessible by public transport.

I went on an all-day walking tour of Berlin with Brewer's Tours -- it was excellent: www.brewersberlintours.com. There's no way you can see all of the nooks and crannies of Berlin on a bus, but if anyone in your group has mobility problems, then a bus would have to work.

January will most likely be cold. We were there 2 years ago in January and it was quite bitter, but we didn't mind because we were prepared and loved ducking into museums. Just wear lots of layers and bring silk long johns, hats, gloves, and waterproof shoes.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM

First of all - you are not going to eastern europe. Germany and Austria have ben considered westerns since WWII and before that all of them were more central europe. (Eastern would be Russia or Ukraine).

All of those places will have typical northern europe winter weather - chilly to cold with some rain and probably also some snow. Be sure you're prepared to dress in layers with warm coat, hat, scarf, gloves and waterproof booties. Obviously you will have a better idea of weather 2 or 3 days before you go - any sooner than that is just a guess based on averages.

Days will be short and some sights may have shorter winter hours (that is closing at 5 pm instead of 7, for example).

Can't help with tours of Berlin - have been several times and we just showed ourselves around. Public transit is easy, taxis cheap and everyone speaks English. Same is true of Vienna and Prague. Although we tend to get a hotel in a very central location and walk most places - partly to see/become part of the city and partly to work off all the calories of those delicious meals.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your helpful advice