Eastern Europe- honeymoon

Aug 27th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Eastern Europe- honeymoon

Hi All,

First post here so looking for some guidance.
My (future) wife and I wish to honeymoon August next year in Eastern Europe. We will have about 3 weeks and we are most interested in Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland though would like to see more if we have time.

We would prefer to travel by train rather than hiring a car.

We are not really into group tours but dont mind the independant tours. Can anyone suggest either a good itinerary or a company that has good independant tours. (We are from Australia so paying in USD or GBP is quite expensive)

Thanks for all your help
Aug 28th, 2003, 04:18 AM
ira

Hi,

Ever been to Venice?

I would suggest flying to Venice (4 nights), train over the Alps to Vienna (4 nights), Boat to Budapest (3 nights), Train to Prague (4 nights) and leaving from Prague.

I realize that I'm short 5 nights, but this is a start. I'm sure that others will be able to tell you about Poland.

Aug 31st, 2003, 12:24 PM

Just returned from living in Germany...and made a few trips into Czech. A few towns we really liked were:
Karlovy Vary
Chesky Krumlov (very neat)
Marianna Lansky (very near the German border)
We always drove. Like the freedom of having our own car.
The eastern bloc countries can be very drab, except in the tourist towns. Not like it is unsafe, but it all just looks run down. The people are very nice, and it is inexpensive. Email me if you need more info.
Oh, some cities get called by different names depending on who you ask. If you need more info, I will have to get out my maps.
EK

Aug 31st, 2003, 02:14 PM

When we saw the Charles Bridge at night in Prague, we both felt that this is the place for honeymooners. Of course this was off-season so not so many people. I would recommend Budapest, Prague and Krakow particularly as you can stay there and take some great daytrips. Also, I would include Vienna (if you have never been), Berlin and Gdansk. If you started in Budapest, you could go to Vienna, then Prague and Krakow. Go up to Gdansk and over to Berlin. We didn't have time to day trip from Budapest but there are some nice places nearby. From Vienna--Bratislava (i hour by train), Vienna Woods. From Prague--the cities named above. From Krakow--Zakopane, Auschwitz/Birkenau, salt mines. From Berlin--Dresden, Potsdam.

Search this Thread