Florence & Rome B & B or hotel ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Florence and Rome end of September. As part of an open-jaw trip from Venice to Almafi Coast , we are staying 2.5 days in Florence and 4 in Rome. Started planning the trip months ago but family matters derailed our plans and we thought we might need to cancel. Now, I'm feeling overwhelmed with trying to catch-up and desperate for good advice. Trying to decide between B& B or hotels ? Looking for central locations with prices under $200 .

Tried to get in Casci in Flo. since it's so highly mentioned , but no luck.

What is the best area to stay in Rome ?

We are traveling by train and like to be able to walk to most locations.

Thanks !
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'll tell you the good and bad about what we did in Florence.

Last year we booked a hotel in Florence for 10 days. Of those days we went on daytrips 6 days with two being overnighters. On the overnighters we only took with a small backpack with a change of clothing and a few necessities.

The hotel was modern and included breakfast. It's locate on the newly renovated and very pleasant Piazza Santa Maria Novella. That's a block from the train station on the Historic Area side of the train station. Excellent location for walking in the Historic Area and getting to the train station.

The negative was that we had a "deluxe" room that was among the smallest rooms I've seen. There was a hanging rack and that's it. We left most of our things in our suitcases.

At least the room was inexpensive. Well under your price range.

I would stay there again for a night or possibly two. No more than that.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Oops. Forgot to mention the name of the hotel.

Hotel Universo.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM

Stayed at the Relais Cavalcanti a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. Great location, helpful owners, we had a nice large room filled with antiques (I think). They didn't provide breakfast but had a kitchen that could be used to fix snacks, coffee, etc. Only five or six rooms so availability might be limited. We really liked it.

http://www.relaiscavalcanti.com/
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:39 PM

In Rome I highly recommend the b&b Arco del Lauro in Trastevere. Location is great, spotlessly clean, it is more of a tiny hotel than a b&b. Owner does not sleep in premises, and breakfast is offered in a cafe around the corner facing a small piazza.
They are very helpful both owner and the manager. We enoyed it a lot and have been there more than once. THEY work with a good car service , that can pick you up at airport.
In Florence, last time stayed in Hotel, Cascio , family run, which has a nice location , excellent
breakfast and is also very pleasant. Good luck. <<both are reasonably priced.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:43 PM

We love Due Torre in Rome--great location on cul de sac near Piazza Navona, not far from the Tiber River. 3 1/2 stars, I'd say, about 30 rooms, lovely sitting area, excellent breakfast, nice staff. We like a very tiny room on the 5th floor with a large balcony that you reach through the bathroom. (this hotel is not funky, despite above description, it's quite elegant. Their sister hotel is also nice but we prefer this location.

I can't remember where stayed last in Florence, small hotel with 10 rooms recommended by Rick Steves, but we like it a lot; I'll try to find it.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:50 PM

Here is some help for Rome:
Bob’s favorite ROME hotels---2010

All are located in the centro historical area of Rome and are within :30 walking of most of the major tourism sights. Prices assume a double room.

SMALL B&Bs:
www.nicolasinn.com Near Colosseum with helpful hosts—160E

www.daphne-rome.com Tasteful B&B in two locations—150 to 200

www.baldassinibeb.it/eng/index.html Great location---good press

FULL SERVICE 3 STAR HOTELS: Prices vary from 150 to 220E & by season

www.albergocesari.it Perfect location—my wife’s favorite—200E

www.hotelsancarloroma.com Near Spanish Steps---about 160E

www.smeraldoroma.com Good location and fair prices

www.hotelportoghesiroma.com North of Piazza Navona—has quad

http://www.residenzacellini.it/ Centro hotel with good reviews

BUDGET 2 STAR OPTIONS: Prices from 90 to 140E for double in season

www.hotel-giardino-roma.com Good location---nice people

www.residenzasanpantaleo.com Good value near Piazza Navona

OTHER GOOD OPTIONS TO CONSIDER: Prices from 150 to 350E---by season

www.hotelmozart.com Nice place---good family/apt. options

www.hotelmodigliani.com Good reviews and helpful owners

www.hotelpontesisto.it Modern hotel near Jewish Quarter

www.navonagallerysuites.com/ Nice suites in great location

www.albergodelsenato.it/ Fabulous location at Pantheon
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM

We also stayed at the Relais Cavalcanti, last September.

It was about 100E/night, and we had a room overlooking the market. It was a great location, and we were able to walk to the train station.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM

Hotel San Carlo is out of the high activity area yet close enough to walk easily everywhere. We have stayed there twice now and have found the rooms and bathrooms to be extremely comfortable. Quiet for sleeping with the windows open, too. Easy walk to Piazza del Popolo, Trevi, Piazza Navonna and Colosseum, the Forum, etc.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:45 AM

In Florence, check out La Casa del Garbo. I thought it was a lovely place to stay, right on the Piazza della Signoria:

http://www.casadelgarbo.it/index.php
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the wonderful recommendations. Going through the list and unfortunately finding little availability - as to be expected at this time, but hopefully will get positive responses via email.

While I'm doing some larger searches, what neighborhood areas would you recommend searching in Florence and Rome ?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:39 AM

In Florence pretty much anywhere in the Centro Storico (historic center) is OK. In Rome, the area around the Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori/Spanish Steps is best, especially for a first-timer.

Enter your dates at a web site like www.venere.com or www.booking.com. Both map the hotels and have reviews. And they'll list only the hotels with availability.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
ira

Hi Im

We were very happy with www.bedinflorence.it in Florence and http://www.hotelmaikol.com/ in Rome.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We liked this place in Florence.

http://www.touristhouseghiberti.com/eng/01-home.html

Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM

I have heard that Hotel Europa in Florence is along the same lines as Casci in terms of quality, location (I think it's across the street from Casci) and price. The tripadvisor reviews look good as well.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM

I would recommend Hotel Burchianti in Florence. It is located between Santa Maria Novella and the Duomo, and is an easy walk from the train station, as well as the Duomo, Academia, Ponte Vecchio, etc. It is a small hotel with beautiful frecos on the ceilings. Mario, who manages the front desk is very helpful with making reservations to tourist sites and restaurants, and is a wealth of information. They serve a nice continental breakfast. It is very reasonable, with a rate of about 130 euros per night. I have stayed there twice, initially after it was highly recommended in Frommer's.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:49 AM

I highly recommend the Il Villino in Florence. A quaint place to stay. We absolutely loved it. We took our 3 daughters there. They recommended the best placed to dine. The accomodations were perfect! The owners are fabulous and the breakfast was simple but sufficient. We recommend this place without any hesitation.

Make sure you eat at Accadia and acquacotta. Two great trattorias in Florence
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.residenzacasanuova.it/ is where i stayed for my recent stay in Florence. it's to the east of the centre, but walkable to everything and very reasonable - I paid €78 per night, including breakfast. very comfortable, clean and friendly.

a taxi from/to the station cost about €10.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

I reserved Tourist House Ghiberti in Florence - was first hesitant because the name sounded like a hostel , but the reviews were positive. I at least feel comfortable having something secured while I search through others.

There were many great suggestions, unfortunately many booked already.

Now, onto Rome ! Any other suggestions welcomed. I'm starting to search through apartments (although since it's only 3 nights, it may be an issue).
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM

Call, don't email, the Due Torre. Ask them if they can put you on a cancellation list, also if they have any openings at their sister hotel, which I believe is called the Hotel Fontanella. I've stayed there and it's very nice I just don't like the location as well although it is a very good one. Another near by hotel is the Portughese which comes well-reviewed.

Consider hotels in the Aventine--out of the way, but beautiful. We also once stayed in an apartment/ hotel Palazzo Al Velabro that we liked very much--it's in a different part of the city, near la bocca della vertita. But the Due torre holds first place in our hearts and our second choice would be its sister (also if the sister hotel has room, you can always asked to be transfereed if something opens up at the Due Torre).