Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Easter Time in Greece (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/easter-time-in-greece-767567/)

CherylNBob Feb 14th, 2009 02:37 PM

Easter Time in Greece

We understand that many Athenians flee the city for Easter. So, what does that mean for tourists? What can we expect Athens to be like? The good may be less traffic I would think. But what is the downside? Less services? Less shops and restaurants ofen?

Have any of you been to Athens on Easter or the Saturday before?

Thanks.

Cheryl and Bob

Challiman Feb 14th, 2009 03:24 PM

Just be sure you know their Easter date is different from the US.
I haven't been to Greece at Easter, so can't give advice about that, sorry. I was there in late March, though, and it was just perfect tourist weather.
Hope someone will answer your questions soon.

Challiman Feb 14th, 2009 04:44 PM

ttt
I hope someone will give you some help soon.

thursdaysd Feb 14th, 2009 06:45 PM

Yes, I was in Athens for Easter in 2006. It is certainly true that the Athenians head for the islands. It's very quiet in town, and museums and some shops and restaurants close. I had made sure to see the museums before Easter Sunday, and spent Easter Monday on one of the hills.

NaxosTravels Feb 14th, 2009 09:40 PM

I have been. I guess it depends on if you have your own car. The buses out of Athens were totally booked solid, so I was there for Easter and couldn't get out for 3 days. It was very quite - If memory serves sites were open half-day and were free. Shops and everything else closed early, leaving not too much to do.

I took in the ceremony and the "procession" down Mt. Likavitos. It was crowded and naturally only in Greek (it also rained) - there wasn't much in the way of a procession. I wished I'd taken the advice of others and gone to a smaller village for Easter. That is apparently were most of Athen's residents went.

Though 3 days in Athens (especially with lots of shops closed) was too much, I can't vouch for it being better elsewhere. If you are using public transport, would try to land somewhere that has a reputedly nice local outdoor celebration, that has good hiking/walking capacities where you will feel happy enjoying quite, serene natural beauty.

If you have your own car I would head to the Peloponnese if your staying on mainland. Just before Easter I was in Santorini and it was very quite - residents were just cleaning up and painting for the next tourist peak season. Still, that didn't hamper my enjoyment - though the water was COLD so not really beach weather. Mainland would be my choice in that season - Monmvasia, Aeropolis, Vathia, Pilos, Gythio, Nafplio, Koroni. Lots of great vistas to behold in the Peloponnese.

Whatever you do book your hotel and transport in advance.

Anyway,

hope all of that rambling helps.

Cheers,
Naxos

NikolettaG Feb 15th, 2009 08:19 AM

Certainly Athenians do leave the city for the Easter weekend (Easter Sunday will be April 19th this year) and some things are closed – but this would be true for any weekend which includes a national holiday. But it won't be a ghost town – certainly not in the centre: shopkeepers know that the city will be full of foreign visitors, so there will be plenty of shopping opportunities, especially on Saturday. There's a very lively scene in the Central Market in Athinas Street, where many people will be waiting till the last minute to get their lambs, hoping for a reduced price; the Psyrri area nearby will also be full of activity, and there will be plenty of busy cafes. Actually, I think you're lucky to have the opportunity to be in Athens at this time: here's an article from 2006 – sorry to quote something I wrote myself, but it's simpler than trying to say it again in limited space. I wouldn't change anything, except the typos! And I wasn't quite right about what the buses actually have on their signs on Easter Day! Must get that altered …
http://www.igogreece.com Look on the left hand side of the page: Specials - Greek Culture and Customs – Easter in Greece.