Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Easter Sunday and Monday --Are they Holidays in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/easter-sunday-and-monday-are-they-holidays-in-paris-285700/)

drebin Feb 6th, 2003 08:14 PM

Easter Sunday and Monday --Are they Holidays in Paris?

My husband and I will have 2 days in Paris -April 20 and 21 -Easter Sunday and Monday. We are wondering what will be open? Museums? restaurants, shops? What are the best things for us to do in those 2 days to experience Paris without running into closed doors all the time? Help!

francophile03 Feb 6th, 2003 09:17 PM

Yes, both days are holidays. Sorry but I do not know what will be open.

Ursula Feb 6th, 2003 11:35 PM

<BR>Re. the museums, you can check the following web site:<BR>http://www.parisinsites.com/museums.html<BR><BR>Some souvenir shops along Rue de Rivoli and the shopping mall under the Louvre Pyramide will most likely be open. <BR>Be prepared for a really packed Paris. I'd avoid the real biggies, if you have been in Paris before and search for some smaller museums and less crowded areas. <BR>Restaurants will mostly be open, especially in the touristy areas. However, some will be closed on Easter Sunday, like every Sunday.

AlexL Feb 7th, 2003 10:06 AM

Recall that local museums, such as the Musee d'Orsay, are always closed on Mondays and most national and local museums close for major holidays. See www.paris.org/musees for a comprehensive list.<BR>While France professes to be devoutly Catholic, much is open. The Eiffel Tower is open every day. All churches will be accessible.

AlexL Feb 8th, 2003 12:55 AM

Let me amplify my earlier reply. The Louvre (www.louvre.fr)and d'Orsay (www.musee-orsay.fr)are both open Easter Sunday. The Louvre is open Easter Monday, though it closes earlier than normal for a Monday evening. The d'Orsay is closed on Mondays.

Kate2 Feb 8th, 2003 04:29 AM

When we were in Paris one Easter Sunday, all the museums were closed and many restaurants. There was still enough to see, walking all over a quiet and sunny but chilly city. Ill St-Louis was busy, shops opened in the afternoon.<BR>We just walked. Stopped at cafes when we got tired. Just don't expect to shop much. You might find more open in the Marais on Sunday.

HowardR Feb 8th, 2003 05:25 AM

Having experienced three holidays during a trip to Paris, I can tell you that there is plenty to do. Just walking around and sitting in sidewalk cafes and parks is a joyous experience, as you watch the steady stream of French families enjoying the holiday.<BR>I would caution that if the museums are open on Easter Sunday and/or Monday, they are likely to be very crowded!

Beatchick Feb 8th, 2003 05:35 AM

Echoing Kate2, many shops in the Marais will be open on Sunday, so you can stroll around in that area that day and find lots to do.<BR><BR>Following is a list of bistros open on Sunday (culled from &quot;Bistros of Paris&quot; by Robert &amp; Barbara Hamburger):<BR><BR>1st<BR>L'Ardoise<BR>L'Argenteui l (dinner only)<BR>Le Dauphin<BR><BR>3rd<BR>L'Ami Louis<BR><BR>4th<BR>Benoit<BR>Les Fous d'en Face<BR><BR>5th<BR>Moissonnier (lunch only)<BR>Le Reminet<BR>Chez Toutoune<BR><BR>6th<BR>Les Bookinistes (dinner only)<BR>Aux Charpentiers<BR>Chez Maitre Paul<BR><BR>7th<BR>Auberge Bressane<BR>Le Fontaine de Mars<BR>Au Petit Tonneau<BR><BR>12th<BR>Le Square Trousseau<BR><BR>13th<BR>Chez Paul<BR>Virgule (dinner only)<BR><BR>15th<BR>Le Bistro d'Hubert<BR>Le Pere Claude<BR><BR>17th<BR>Le Bistrot d'a Cote Flaubert<BR>Le Bistrot de l'Etoile &quot;Niel&quot;<BR><BR>20th<BR>La Boulangerie<BR><BR>I'm happy to say that I'll be eating at Le Square Trousseau &amp; La Boulangerie on my next trip to Paris in April (I'll be there the week of Easter, as well, and plan to eat at Le Square Trousseau for Sunday Brunch)!!<BR><BR>If you need addresses, phone #s, or Metro stops for any of these, please feel free to e-mail me.<BR><BR>I'm so excited for you!!!!<BR><BR>~MaryC : ) <BR>[email protected]

MelissaHI Feb 8th, 2003 10:50 AM

I spent an Easter in Paris and headed straight for their Chinatown (past Place d'Italie). Like the Chinatown in my city, theirs never closes! It was kind of interesting, actually.

Ursula Feb 17th, 2003 06:19 AM

<BR>Topping for messedup!<BR><BR>Get your hotel reservation asap, if you want to stay in a centrally located charming hotel. You're kind of late.<BR>As for restaurant reservations, yes, the fancier one can be booked online. You can also have your hotel make the reservations for you.