Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easter in Tuscany/Umbria: hilltown? city? countryside?

Oct 18th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Need help from veteran Italy travelers!

Easter Sunday/Monday will fall toward the tail end of our two-week trip next April. We arrive and leave from Pisa and will have a car. Tentative plans call for 'homebases' in Montepulciano, one or two other places, and several nights in Florence and Lucca at the end to catch up on shopping.

I've seen warnings to avoid Italy during Easter, which hotels categorize as high season. Seeking to avoid parking/driving problems in crowded cities, I tried to book Assisi (San Crispina Residence) for this weekend but was unsuccessful. Does anyone have any insights/suggestions? This part of the itinerary is open and flexible.

Help please!
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Trying again -- anyone have experiences to share?
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:22 PM

Assisi is especially way too crowded on Italian holidays. Many Italians go out of town on three day weekends.Actually I wouldn't especially want to be driving or taking a train on a holiday weekend because of the traffic and crowds.

You might try Orvieto, Sienna or even Rome. We have also been in Venice on holiday weekends, and while it was crowded in San Marco Piazza, there were plenty of uncrowded areas there. Getting a hotel room this far ahead shouldn't be too difficult- except in Assissi at San Crispina- it has only seven apartments.We are staying there in early December.

Just do the travelling part before the weekend so you won't have to fight all the traffic.
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:29 PM

Hi Mari,
We too will be in Italy over Easter and have been trying to find the same information as you, with no luck!
This is the best I can do to help. It made me feel a bit better.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...&notFound=true

Good luck.
Oct 20th, 2003, 03:01 AM

My opinion would be to find somewhere in the country nearby a town in Tuscany and stay put. There are some beautiful farmhouses near san gimignano willing to rent one or several adjoining apartments - I would absolutely try to avoid shopping during this holiday - much will be closed and during the days shops do open they are bound to be somewhat of a zoo. I would check into some idyllic surroundings near a town like SG and enjoy the wine, the food and the scenery.
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Montepulciano was perhaps my most favorite place in Italy! It is lovely and not a scene as many of the hilltowns are. This was the place we got the most ready sense of life going on all around us. I would think Siena would be lovely at Easter as well although likely to be more crowded than Montepulciano. The duomo there is magnificent and I believe you will have more choices both in terms of lodging and restaurants.
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Wherever you decide to stay, get there before the long weekend begins and stay put. Although traveling between small towns on back roads shouldn't be too bad.

The traffic in Italy over the long Easter weekend is incredible. It seems that the whole country takes to the roads. Avoid the major highways completely, unless you enjoy sitting in a very long, very slow moving line of traffic.

Been there, done that -- never again!
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:55 AM

I'd try Urbino, it's a beautiful city on the hills, yet almost untouched by mass tourism invasion, and still very close to Assisi and the whole Umbria region- I loved being there, prices are low and people extremely kind
Oct 20th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

GREAT information, all, very helpful, thanks!

Based on this, I'm x-ing out basing in a city that weekend. Now deciding between a hilltown or agriturismo (planning to post that question later). Montepulciano is already at the top of my list of hilltowns. Will look into Urbino.

The subhed of the above-referenced Wash Post article is: "The good news: She found a really cheap Internet fare to Italy. The bad news: It was during Easter week." My situation exactly. $789 r/t from Honolulu to Pisa! Oh well. That's why I'm trying to book accommodation now.

P.S. re San Crispino in Assisi: They seem booked for more than a week thru Easter because of one seminar. Too bad. Can you post a report and let us know if it's as nice as I hear?