east vs. west cote d'azur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've read all the posts and the guidebooks about the region and here's what i'm hoping to find out.

we are headed to nice for a second time just as a stop off enroute to corsica at the end of august. i know it'll be packed, but we live in london and so our careers dictate we travel when the europeans do.
we'll have one day there and two short nights (get in 10pm, spend a day and have an early ferry next day) on the front end, then one short night again and a morning (until about 2p) on the back end. we'll also have a car.

we figured on the back half day we'd just stay in nice and enjoy re-visiting the old part, etc. but for the front end i can't figure out if it's better to stay in antibes at the hotel jabotte and do perhaps morning at the beach, afternoon touring the charming nearby villages, etc. or stay at the hotel versailles in villefranches sur mer and do the same. its seems there are a few more towns to see in the west but other than that i think they are comparable for beaches. the hotel in antibes is near a sandy beach and either villefranches or beaulieu appear to have a sandy beach. i don't think we can see it all--well we could, but forget about relaxing--so if anyone can make suggestions about preference i'd appreciate it.

we are in our 30's and like to chill for a couple of hours but then get in the car and discover neat little towns and walk around--get the feel for a place.

many thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Traffic in the Villefranche area is not nearly as bad as it often is in Anbites, where getting into/out of the town can take a good hour.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

No other input? Have heard about the traffic in Antibes--just wondering if it would be tough to get out of there midday or early afternoon?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:30 AM

The time of day doesn't seem to make much difference. Like St.-Tropez, Antibes has only one major street running north and south, and it justs get clogged. Early afternoon would probably be your best bet, and you could leave the town via the coast road toward Nice; that has considerably less traffic.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Underhill-

Thanks so much for the helpful info. In your opinion, do the towns east of Nice offer as much as the towns to the West?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Yes. East of Nice are Mougins, St.-Paul-de-Vence, Haut de Cagnes, Vence, and Grasse.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Two more "east" villages: Valbonne and Biot.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:50 PM
sandi

Underhill - which way are you facing - to the Med? I love all the great information you have, but sorry to say - these towns are not only West but also in the hills so kind of North, except for those that run along/close to the Peage. They're between Nice and Antibes/Juan les Pins.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:40 PM

I am facing north and clearly standing on my head...the towns I mentioned are of course to the west of Nice. We've visited them quite a few times and like them all. Haut de Cagnes is probably the most difficult to navigate because some of the streets are very narrow and parking is usually available only in the monstrous lot below the château. It's a strange lot: you pull you car into the "lobby," get out, and your car is whisked away automatically and stacked in one of the many levels. It can be a bit unnerving the first time around!

Most tourists miss the charming small town of Valbonne, with its galleries, plaza, and street after street of lovely houses and window boxes of flowers. Nearby is the town of Mouan-Sartoux, which has an interesting château, along with a supermarket that has an adjacent good cafeteria. Just outside the town (and near the supermarket) is a branch of Botanique, a nursery/pet shop/gift shop that at Christmas is filled with a super collection of trees and decorations.

Anyone interested in modern art will want to visit the Fondation Maeght, with its large collection of sculptures displayed mostly outdoors. There are also some good paintings in the museum.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Biot is a place to visit to buy the famous "bubble" glasses of Provence. Very expensive in the states.
The Maeght , as underhill stated is really special but, if time is short, don't worry, sit in a square order the local food, and don't forget to ask for the local wine and cheese and watch the patade of French life pass you by.