Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easiest way to get from London Luten Airport to Heathrow, please

Notices

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 07:52 PM
Bev

Can anyone give me advice on the easiest (but cheap) way to get from Luton to Heathrow on a Sunday? Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 08:48 PM
Amik

We did that last month.
There are 2 ways to do that (and it's Luton, not Luten): Take a bus (forgot the name of the company, I think National? somebody else would probably tell you), but they want you to make a paid reservation on their website for a specific time departure, and the problem is, those "cheap, no-frills" airlines, like EasyJet that we used, are not exactly "on-time" airlines, and if you miss the bus, you might have to wait a long time for the next, and who knows if your ticket will be honored.
We chose the other service, which was not much more expensive. For 55 pounds we used one of those "airport cars", companies that use private car owners as "taxis" to drive travelers from and to airports. Its very popular and successful in and around London. Quite a few postings were published on this forum.
The driver, a very nice chap, drove us directly to Heathrow, took about 45 minutes in rush our traffic. We were quite pleased with him and gave him a nice tip. You make a reservation a day ahead, give them your flight info, they will check with the airline before heading to the airport, and as long as the driver does not have to wait exessive time for you, you would not be required to pay him extra. Hope this helps.
Amik.
Amik.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 08:52 PM
Tony

Cheapest way is probably Thameslink train from Luton airport to Kings Cross, then Piccadilly Line (Underground) from Kings Cross to Heathrow.
Quicker, but dearer by about $12, is Thameslink train to Faringdon, then Circle Line Underground westbound to Paddington, then Heathrow Express train. With some airlines you can check your luggage at Paddington
I think (but not sure) that there is also an airport link bus from Luton to Heathrow. If so, probably easier, but maybe slower, although traffic on the M25 should'nt be the usual nightmare on a Sunday.
This is really a question for Ben Haines who knows much more than me about this journey.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 03:31 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

I'm afraid I can't add to Mr Albury's helpful reply. There are 300 yards from the Thameslink platform at Kings Ctross Thameslink to the Piccadilly Line, but otherwise it's plain sailing.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines, London

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Bev

Thanks so much for your kind replies. A simple request and one more puzzle is solved easily. We've been planning our 2 week trip to the south of France and London for 6 months and many of the plans I've made have been based on advice from this forum. Just this week it saved me $270 on a ticket from Nice to London. My travel agent had booked my son on BA at $331, but I investigated EasyJet on the internet and found a fare for $60! I've also booked our hotel rooms in Nice and car rental based this your advice. It's like having the most knowledgeable travel agent in the world at my fingertips. Thanks again, Bev

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Julian

Rather than battling with the Tube and Thameslink, which is a lot of hassle, the easiest way to get from Luton to LHR is on a Jetlink coach. On a Sunday the traffic should be no problem (unless by some fluke you're doing it on the next Bank Holiday weekend, which is the last Sunday in August, when things will be a bit worse). Their website is a bit ropey (www.speedlink.co.uk/times/jetinfo.html) but you can ring the phone number they mention for detailed info.