Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easiest way from Alilaguna dock to NE end of the Grand Canal in Venice?

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into Venice airport and taking Aliguna ferry to "mainland". What's the FASTEST way to get to the NE end of the canal so I can catch the Vaporetto down to St Mark's (to listen to my new Rick Steve's Grand Canal podcast along the way enroute to hotel)? Same day flying in from US so I want the least stressful mode.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM

For one thing, don't take the Alilaguna.

Take the ATVO direct bus to Piazzale Roma (which will take a heck of a lot less time) and get on a No. 1 or No. 2 vaporetto there. It will take you from "the NE end" of the Grand Canal to San Marco.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM

I agree with Zerlina about how to get there but it isn't that the WEST not the East end of the canal? [This is assuming that Steves starts his podcast at the train station]
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Sorry...you're right. Its the North WEST upper end of the canal. Thanks. Why don't I want to take the Alilaguna ferry? Is it more of a hassle since I'd have to get over to the train station on land with suitcases?
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM

Look, just because Rick Steves starts his Podcast at the train station, you can get on the vaporetto one stop earlier. It's an awful lot easier to take the bus to Piazzale Roma and walk to the vaporetto stop there than to take the Alilaguna to heaven only knows where and transfer to a vaporetto to get to the train station.

The next vaporetto stop on No. 1 or No. 2 from Piazzale Roma *is* the train station. Turn on the darn Podcast then.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM

Again, what Zerlina says! I don't really give a hoot about where the podcast starts, that was just my guess which led me to believe Mimi is looking to get to the West not the East.

I guess you can take the Alilaguna if you want but that is much slower than the land bus...you did ask for FASTEST
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM

Doesn't the Alilaguna stop at San Marco?

http://www.alilaguna.it/?funzione=1&...alore=8&modo=6
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM

When we arrived in Venice in early March, we choose to take the ACTV bus from the airport (e2.50/pp) and 20 minutes later we were at P Roma.
From P Roma we took the #1 canalbus (e6.50/pp) to Arsenale, which is a couple of stops beyond P San Marco - so add another 50 minutes. The sun was just going down as we traveled along the Grand Canal and it was beautiful.

Leaving Venice, we took the Alilaguna Red from Arsenale (e12.00) and it took just about an hour to get to the airport, traveling via the outer islands. Add the 10 minute walk to the airport.

Both routes have their value and by doing both of them, we got 2 different water views of Venice.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM

My first time into Venice I took the Aliguna - it was a nice way to enter Venice - wonderful water views, but it is slow. The next time in, we planned to do the same but just missed one and the bus was due to come soon so we took the bus into Piazza Roma, then the vaporetto - it was much faster! Then you can enjoy the ride down the Grand Canal with our friend, Rickie Stevio!
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM

The Alilaguna will drop you just by S Marco. If that's where you're staying, it's faster and easier than going via Piazzale Roma. See:

http://www.alilaguna.it/
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Our hotel (Locanda Orseolo) gave us three transport options (Aliliguna, bus to Vaporetto, and water taxi), but seemed to prefer the Alilaguna, since it involves only one on-off experience with your luggage. I think it depends on what the OP wants - how to get to her hotel, or how to get to where the Rick Steves audio tour begins. Personally, I am planning to do the vaporetto down the Grand Canal (with my audio tour) at another time, not after my 10 hour plane ride. I would probably not be able to relax and look at everything, while also watching to make sure my luggage stays with me.