"Easiest" place to rent a car in Rome to travel to Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom and I are going to rent a car in Rome and use it to travel around Tuscany for a few days before dropping it off it Florence. I know driving in and around Rome isn't easy. With that said, does anyone know of a rental pick-up location that offers a quick exit out of the city? It looks like we will be renting from Auto Europe because of their good rates. We will be staying in the Piazza Navona area. Would the Vatican office be good? Any thoughts on where to drop the car off in Florence? Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM

You posted twice in 2 minutes. Just click on your name to see your posts. I'm sure someone will have ideas. Just give some time for responses.

Travelatte
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM

If you rent at the airport it's VERY easy to get out of Rome and onto A1.
In Florence, you could drop it at the airport, which is easy, and take a bus into town, or you could drop it at their office on Via Maso Finiguerra, just south of the SMN train station. If you haven't driven in Florence before it could be confusing.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hi CVerga,

We used the Vatican office of Auto Europe in September. It was very easy to get out of the city. Essentially there were three right turns that took you to the autostrada. The office personnel spoke excellent English (if that is important to you) and gave us great directions.

We have also rented from FCO airport and it is easy to get to the autostrada as well, but since we were already in Rome, we didn't want to backtrack that much.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will pick up the car at the Vatican office (doesn't sound too frightening) and then drop it off at the Florence airport. Does anyone know if we will have to pay extra fees by dropping it off at the airport?