Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Easier to drive from Aix or Marseille, to Antibes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/easier-to-drive-from-aix-or-marseille-to-antibes-630358/)

frecklez Jul 12th, 2006 07:38 AM

Easier to drive from Aix or Marseille, to Antibes?

Hello, am looking to pick up a rental car from Avignon, and drive to both Aix en Provence and Marseille for the day, with the intention of staying that night in the Antibes area. My question is, considering we're looking to check out both cities in one day, which city should we visit first, leaving the second city to drive from towards Antibes? Am a bit concerned about driving along narrow routes potentially after the sun has gone down, esp. along windy coastal routes. BTW we would like to walk around the cities, not drive within the city limits, so I would of course want to factor in what there is to see and do in each city, considering the burden of parking a car (with luggage in it). Your posts have all been very helpful for research so far, I'd greatly appreciate your help!!

frecklez Jul 12th, 2006 08:28 AM

Repost - sorry, not sure if this went through!

TimS Jul 12th, 2006 08:43 AM

You can drive on autoroutes (freeways) and avoid windy roads no matter which route you choose. Your fastest route probably would be Avignon-Marseille-Aix-Antibes.

According to viamichelin.com, it's 105 km from Avignon to Marseille and the driving time is just over an hour. From Marseille to Antibes via Aix it's 187 km and the time estimate is just under two hours.

RonZ Jul 12th, 2006 08:44 AM

Good comment by klondike today about parking with luggage in the car--you may wish to search for it.

I don't get what you mean by not wanting to drive within city limits. What's the alternative?

It might be a good idea for you to plot out driving routes on viamichelin or mappy. Aix comes first.

Be aware that finding a place to park in Aix can be fifficult.

PBProvence Jul 12th, 2006 08:59 AM

You'll be hard pressed to visit both Aix and Marseille in one day and then wind up in Antibes.
Viamichelin is extremely optimistic with the times it gives to drive to Marseille from Avignon - it will take you at least an hour and fifteen minutes - on a really good day. If you don't want to drive in the city limits of Marseille or Aix, you might consider taking the train from Avignon to Marseille (Gare St Charles), then another train to Aix - picking up your rental car as you leave Aix - perhaps at the Aix TGV station.

Then take the highway (A8) to Antibe - which will take you a little over two hours, if you drive at the speed limit.

Patricia

Bigal Jul 13th, 2006 09:40 AM

No question you are doing an awful lot for one day and I don't know how much time you can allow for your sightseeing and I guess having a relaxing dinner before to bed in Antibes. It's also hard to give advice not knowing your itinery and whether you'll be going beyond Antibes with the car and if you are "doing"Province before Avignon. That area has so much more to offer than Aix and Marseille.