Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ease of Basing in Eze (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ease-of-basing-in-eze-279363/)

Steve Dec 13th, 2002 09:18 AM

Ease of Basing in Eze

My wife and I are thinking about staying for a couple nights at Chateau de la Chevre d'or in Eze. We wanted to find out how far it is from the airport and how accessible by car it is to Nice, Monaco and other towns in the Riviera. Thanks.

Nancy Dec 13th, 2002 10:19 AM

Steve, it is accessible, but quite a drive from the airport and the other towns. It is not very far, but it is high up, but I think well worth the drive. It has amazing views and is a quiet town at night, I would stay there, but I just visited for the day.

xxx Dec 15th, 2002 07:37 AM

to the top

xxx Dec 15th, 2002 09:23 AM

Steve- Eze is beautiful but isolated & not particularly easy to park or get in & out. For a similar experience consider Moulin de Mougins in Mougins or La Colombe D'Or in St. Paul de Vence. Both are fine restaurants/inns. Both, I think more convenient. You can still dine (& should) in Eze.

xxx Dec 15th, 2002 10:20 AM

<BR><BR>Steve, I respectfully disagree with my fellow xxx on this. <BR><BR>Eze is beautiful, spectacularly so, but I would hardly call it &quot;isolated&quot;, being right on one of the three corniche roads (the middle one), a short drive from either Nice or Monaco.<BR><BR>As for parking, there is a large pay parking lot which has plenty of room once the tourists have departed for the day. Also, if you're staying at the Chevre d'Or, they may have parking specifically for hotel guests. <BR><BR>Eze is also very easy to get in and out of. As I said, it's right on the middle corniche road. Cars are not able to enter Eze itself, so you will have a short uphill walk from wherever you park, but there will certainly be porters available from the Chevre d'Or for your luggage. <BR><BR>There are indeed other hilltowns near Nice, but not a single other one overlooks the Mediterraean in such a spectacular setting. <BR><BR>After the hordes of tourists leave in the evening, you will have a very romantic village, perched above the blue Mediterranean, almost all to yourselves. <BR><BR>The Chevre d'Or is, of course, very expensive, but I'm sure you know that already.

xxx Dec 15th, 2002 10:22 AM

<BR>P.S. I liked your play on words in the title, but Eze is actually pronounced with a short e, like Ez, not a long e.

Steve Dec 16th, 2002 09:58 AM

Thanks xxx. I booked at Chevre d'or and can't wait. Also, thanks for your help with the pronunciation. I didn't know that but am glad I won't pronounce it wrong in the future. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get to the Nice airport from there?

xxx Dec 16th, 2002 06:36 PM

<BR><BR>You're welcome, Steve. Glad to be of assistance. I bet you will love staying there for a few nights. <BR><BR>It's not hard at all to get to the Nice airport from Eze. Just take the corniche road that passes right by Eze into Nice and then, once in Nice, take the road running along the Mediterranean to the airport. From Eze to Nice is, I think, about 20-30 minutes and then another 20-30 or so minutes to the airport, depending on time of day and traffic. <BR><BR>The only thing I've found hard about getting to the Nice airport is the poor signage once you exit from that road along the Mediterranean. They could do a much clearer job of directing people. <BR><BR>Hope you enjoy the Golden Goat and Eze. The view from the Chevre d'Or's pool and terrace is spectacular.

Claude Dec 19th, 2002 09:46 AM

We were just on the Riviera a few weeks ago. Be advised that portions of the Moyenne Corniche, which is the road you take to Eze, are closed due to a massive rock slide or tunnel collapse (can't recall). We travelled on the Grande Corniche and Basse Corniche, but were turned away from the Moyenne. <BR>Maybe someone else could be more specific about what sections are closed. Only residents were allowed past certain points, so maybe hotel guests would also be allowed. If you can find out exactly which sections are closed, you could get directions &quot;around&quot; the obstruction.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

xxx Dec 19th, 2002 01:07 PM

<BR><BR>There is least one road near Eze that links the Grande Corniche to the Moyenne Corniche so one can always take that from Eze to the Grande Corniche and then take the Grande Corniche to Nice. <BR><BR>I would assume there is also a road linking the Moyenne with the Basse for another alternate route between Eze and Nice.

Mary Dec 21st, 2002 06:36 PM

Eze is a very easy drive from Nice airport, and it it one of my favorite place to be (depending on the time of year -- summer can be not so fun). You are not too far from Italy, close enough to the French Alps, a half hour (MOL) to Monaco. Go for it.

Andre Dec 22nd, 2002 01:33 AM

Steve,<BR><BR>Eze is indeed is indeed a great base for exploring the Cote d'Azur!<BR><BR>Regarding closure of the Moyenne Corniche, I am sure that the road has since been reopened - it's the main (free) road from Nice to the Italian border, so they would repair it ASAP.<BR><BR>Anyway, the airport (and any place west of Nice) can be reached very easily by the A8 &quot;autoroute&quot; (toll highway). You just drive about 10 min. uphill to La Turbie, where there's an on-ramp for westbound traffic. <BR><BR>As Mary said, Monte Carlo is about 1/2 hour east on the Moyenne Corniche, while Nice is about the same distance going west.<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR>Andre

Ron Dec 22nd, 2002 08:48 AM

Following some advice on this board, we drove up to St Agnes and had a nice lunch there. Located inland from Menton, it is the highest coastal village in Europe.