Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Earplugs! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/earplugs-589372/)

canuckuphereathome Feb 8th, 2006 12:33 PM

Earplugs!

Any recommendations for best earplugs? Going to be in noisy areas, have husband who snores and I won't be able to escape! Any great earplugs I can get before trip?

bettyk Feb 8th, 2006 12:41 PM

We use a brand called "Hearos" that you can get at most drug stores and Walmart. We like them cause they are flesh colored and fit well inside the ear. However, I have a husband that also snores and there are times that even the earplugs and a pillow over my head aren't enough to drown out that sound! You may want to look into an iPod with music or a sound soother that you can use to help block out the noise.

regalada Feb 8th, 2006 12:58 PM

I use Macks earplugs, I never travel without them. I have traveled with a friend who snores quite loudly and I slept like a baby with her in the same room. They also drown out outside noise and noisy pipes at the hotel.

The earplugs are made of silicone and you stick them over your ear sealing it completely. Drawbacks are that it took me a while to get used to hearing the sound of my breathing so vividly, and if you have long hair it sticks to the earplugs so hair has be tied up.

I've been using them for almost 4 years and would not use anything else. I buy them at Target or at the drugstore and online.

Pegontheroad Feb 8th, 2006 01:14 PM

I just use the cylindrical foam earplugs that I get at Safeway or Rite-Aid. But I think the i-pod with music is a good idea, too.

FlyFish Feb 8th, 2006 02:00 PM

The foam plugs that are inserted into the ear canal are cheap, disposable, comfortable, and amazingly effective. They're very commonly seen on shooting ranges, where good hearing protection is a must. The Hearos mentioned above have a NRR (noise reduction rating) of 32 decibels, which is more than the highest-quality ear muff-type protectors (typically 29 db). There are other brands on the market and I suspect they are similarly effective.

seetheworld Feb 8th, 2006 02:06 PM

Definitely Hearos!

canterbury Feb 8th, 2006 02:23 PM

Nexcare (by 3M) foam earplugs - hands down the most comfortable ear plug I've ever used. I literally have tried them all.

My hubby is a snore-zilla and I use these so frequently that I need something that won't start hurting after a few hours. They're little orange foam thingys that have some "ribs" in them. I guess that's what makes them so comfortable.

And if they can block out the noise my guy makes, they are truly amazing! I get them at Target for $10 for 50 pairs.

annabelle2 Feb 8th, 2006 02:53 PM

Shared a room w/ 2 pals last spring for 3 weeks, on and off, and one is a major snorer. I agree with "regalada" -- Macks are the best I have tried. She/he is right about the long hair; just tie it back.
The best, and I have tried many!

TexasAggie Feb 8th, 2006 03:00 PM

I am also a huge fan of Mack's Pillowsoft silicon ear plugs. My husband also snores dreadfully and these are the only brand I have found that really drown him out

MichelleY Feb 8th, 2006 03:30 PM

Another vote for Mack's.

I say my husband snores and he says I snore, so we share a six pack of Mack's.

MY