Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

early to bed, early to rise -- which Paris arrondissement?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2015, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I have settled on dates for our now-for-sure Paris trip next year: October 16-22, 2016. I haven't been since I was a college student in 1986, and this will be the first time for my DH. We are now in our late 40s.

I've discussed with him the issues with short-term apartment-rentals that I've read here (please no re-hashing of the issue) and instead we've been thinking about a Citadines apart'hotel, or even a regular hotel. For a trip of 6 nights, it almost isn't worth it to get an apartment, if we don't want to spend too much time there... We just want a place to keep some coffee etc., and bring in dinner if we don't want to go out, and not sit on the bed to eat it. I'm also starting to feel that a concierge desk might be helpful though we are very comfortable making our own itineraries/schedules etc.

I've been trying to research the personality differences among all the arrondissements, but it is hard to really get a bearing on it. If only I could narrow down the choices to just a couple, I'd be ready to do my hotel research. A little about us: We are not misanthropes, but we hate touristy crowds. (We live very near NYC and I work in midtown Manhattan so I know very well what big touristy cities are like, and to battle tourists every day.) We also are not nightlife-goers; we prefer to be up and out early. So we'd like an area that doesn't have a lot of late bars or traffic outside. We love little shops, and patisseries, and not-loud-college-student bars. Bookstores! Cheese shops! Markets! Roaming around supermarkets in other countries! We also love parks. We are experienced travelers and have no problem not being in the middle of it all. In fact, we'd prefer not being in the middle of it all. Public transportation is our friend.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction with a couple of arrondissements that might suit us? At this point, without doing any hotel research, I would imagine our budget to be $200 a night or less. And for $200 it would have to hit all our wish-list.

thanks very much!
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 11:58 AM

Eastern half of 11th, W and SW portions of the 12th, N portion of 14th, W half of both 19th and 20th ought to give you a start. There are Citadines and Adagio in these areas and hotels and everything else in general are much less expensive in these areas. Plenty of shops and markets here that are much more interesting than in the central part of the city. You can Google a list of Paris markets by the day of the week and the arrondissement. No problems getting anywhere and no safety concerns other than pay attention to your belongings.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 12:06 PM

Ok, my experience is not as extensive as many of the posters here, but if you are considering Citadines, I do think that the Citadines Bastille Marais might fit your needs. You are on the edge of "touristy" areas, to the west, but I believe that east of you would be quieter and less touristy. You'd probably be ok with one of their studios, but your budget would include a 1 - bedroom for more space and comfortable seating.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll get some good advice from others.

Sandy
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 12:24 PM

I dislike 19th eespecially the closest to cité des sciences.

I'd add 16th : very very quiet but nice.

14th I'd recommend hotel :
Max 34 rue Alesia 14e

16th :
Villa Glamour rue de la pompe 16e
(I really liked this one, cosy, nice). I guarantee NO toursit in the neighbourhood.

Enjoy Paris.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In terms of "early to bed, early to rise" you would definitely want to stay in one of the outer arrondissements (9 to 20 excluding 16) to take full benefit of this. There are more working class people in these areas, and they are early risers, so you can find cafés and boulangeries open by 6 or 7 a.m. while in the tourist center, most places do not open until 8.

There are a number of Adagio appart-hotels in these areas, as well as most of the other brands.

This link lists 213 appart-hotels in Paris: http://www.cityzenbooking.com/fr/r-3...FQX3wgodZaUP-Q
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 01:40 PM

Cafes and boulangeries are open by 7 where I stay in Montparnasse.

I think people make too big a deal of this idea of characterizing arrondisements as if each one is totally different. Different parts of each one are usually different and you aren't going to find bookstores around that much, either, in a lot of areas, and of course, they'll be French books. College student bars are mainly where colleges and their residences are. For example, the 5th arrondisement has some student residences around Monge/Censier metros. Definitely food shops there, that's not a bad idea for you.

There are lots of students around the 5th arr near Jussieu, of course, since a university branch is there. And there are some in the 6th as there is a university there on rue d'Assas (where I went). Students are in bars in Montparnasse.

I think Montparnasse might be a good idea from what you want, actually, and Luxembourg gardens isn't too far away. Plenty of shops, and there is a major FNAC bookstore over on rue de Rennes. there are a couple of bookstores are down on bd St Michel though (Gibert Jeune, etc) closer to the Seine. I like Gibert Jeune as it has lots of good used books (which I don't think FNAC does). Or maybe Alesia/rue Daguerre area would be a good idea.

There is an Adagio over in the 15th, rue de Theatre, I think, that would be a good location, also, fewer tourists. Plenty of shops on rue St Charles, and some nice small parks.

Here is a hotel I often stay at in Montparnasse, they have a suite room with a lounge area, table, etc that could suit you. It's about 230 in October (now) if you get the right promotion.
http://www.paris-hotel-aiglon.com/en/rooms/ There is also a Citadines Montparnasse with reasonable rates.

I'm never too tired to go to dinner in Paris when there are many bistros, cafes and places just outside my door within a block or two. Your budget isn't that high for October, FYI, for many hotels, that is peak rate season.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 09:13 PM

We have stayed in Citadines on Boulevard Richard Lenoir near Bastille - quiet area but a short walk to Place Des Vosges and Marais - enjoyed the place
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 09:29 PM

kerouac, that link is fabulous!! I'll love you forever for that!!

s
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 03:06 AM

If you are considering a Citadines look at the one that overlooks the Seine--the room we visited looke out at NotreDame.
We have stayed near Bastille and prefer a livelier neighborhood--even the 7th.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such wonderful and detailed suggestions! This is exactly what I was hoping for from the Paris experts here. Kerouac, thank you for that link, that's stupendous! Now I can start my own research.

I know that October is (one of the) high season here in NYC and so I'm not surprised it's also popular in Paris. We are hoping there will be fewer crowds than in the summer, though...

merci!
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 03:49 AM

Kerouac, I wish I had that link last week but m happy with what we have now but will be in my bookmarks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 05:44 AM

WHAT a great link!!!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 07:00 AM

I agree that the Citadines Bastille Marais would be perfect for what you describe you would like.

It's an easy walk to the Bastille market, as well as several others. There are any number of excellent restaurants and shops within an easy stroll. And it's well within your budget.

I love that area and think you would as well.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

thank you all, so much! I want to go tomorrow!

now we just have to see if DH's supervisor will allow him to take that week off. Apparently it's too close to the beginning of the quarter (we are not going in September specifically because he said he can't go at the end of the quarter) and she might be not very nice and decline his request. He has already asked, 13 months in advance.

I am thinking good Paris thoughts ....
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 11:05 AM

I like the Marais area as well. It is small, compact, walkable and central. I don't think of it as a quiet area though because it has a lot of tourists and night activity. But, I wouldn't let that stop me!

I also recommend the first arrondissement which is just across the river from the Marais and is generally a quiet (also older area) and near Saint Germain Gardens, Place Venedome, Palais Royal, the Louvre and Tullieries Gardens, and the University of Paris and Notre Dame, etc. It is very walkable, has lot of charm, good restaurants, bookstores, cafes, bakeries, cheese shops (well that is all of Paris!!).

What I would look for is a place that has A/C or overhead fans (depending on the time of year), and elevator (if on an upper level), is not above a nightclub/bar/restaurant.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Correction: the Marais and the 1st arrondissement are on the same side of the river.