early tickets in Scandinavia

Old Dec 19th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

early tickets in Scandinavia

We are planning a trip to Denmark, Norway and Sweden this June. Are there any "attractions" (museums, castles, etc.) that we should purchase early tickets for, or is it ok to just show up? thanks
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 08:20 AM

We just showed up in those countries for top sites. No problems. We traveled in August/September.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 11:05 AM

If taking trains then book early for discounts - www.seat61.com has loads on doing that - general info Scandinavian trains - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Look for city cards or passes if going to many sights to save money.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 02:54 PM

Scandinavia is wonderful organized, low-key and relaxed. With the possible exception of the Vasa Museum in Stockholm, I can't think of anything that would require pre-booking. Have so much fun!
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 03:08 PM

Where will you be in Scandinavia on Midsummer's Eve? (Friday June 21st ).
We were in Stockholm on Midsummer's Eve two years ago, and decided to go to Skansen, Stockholm's open air museum, which holds the city's biggest Midsummer celebration. Because we didn't buy tickets in advance, we waited for about an hour in line. The day before we were in Helsinki, where many restaurants had already started to close for the holidays.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 03:18 AM

Midsummer is a big deal in Scandinavia and Finland and alot of places close the week prior or at least a few days before midsummer's eve. Alot of local people leave the city and go to the countryside but museums/attractions should be open in main cities such as Stockholm. Best to check restaurants if there are specific ones you want to visit and book train tickets well in advance as they will be booked up around midsummer.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks for the advice about Midsummer eve. We will be in Stockholm if we travel as planned (we leave on the 23rd). This is actually kind of funny - seems to be our lot to end up in places where they are having big festivals that we didn't understand/know about. When we went to Portugal about ten years ago we managed to arrive right before St. Anthony's day - who knew? I haven't been able to stomach sardines since lol. Then again I made Portuguese cod soup for dinner tonight so all was not lost culinarily. We will be sure to check both attractions and restaurants for that time. Will hotels be booked early as well?
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 04:07 AM

I posted information about Midsummer on one of your other posts last year. I have no idea about hotels since I have a house in Sweden but would assume they would be booked up quickly, because midsummer is such a popular time to visit Scandinavia. If you go to Skansen you'll see the maypole and people dancing around it while singing a song about frogs.

Ferry between Copenhagen and Oslo
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 03:56 PM

Laura, I found this page on the blog of concierge of Stockholm's Rival Hotel informative for Midsummer's Eve planning (this info is specific for 2018, but nonetheless useful):
The Stockholm Tourist: Midsummer Weekend 2018
Our first and second choice restaurants were closed on this weekend, but we were still able to book a couple of nice restaurants. I would suggest making reservations for popular restaurants.
I thought Skansen was a nice place to be on Midsummer's Eve day, but it is quite crowded and if your husband has any mobility issues it could be a challenge, as the grounds are large and there are uneven paths. There's a funicular and a little train that tours the grounds, but we didn't use these.
The Skansen Train | Skansen
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/FAQ-g1...ir_Museum.html
We booked our hotel two months in advance, Radisson Blu Waterfront. Amazing breakfasts and nice views of the City Hall across the way. Breakfasts were impressive in our hotels in Helsinki, Stockholm, Oslo, Bergen, the best we've had. We skipped the breakfasts at our hotel in Copenhagen, but it looked good as well.
Being on vacation and landing in town on a holiday you weren't aware of. Happens to me all the time, too, even though I look such things up in advance. But it's much more pleasant than landing in new town when there's a strike on.

Last edited by Diamantina; Dec 21st, 2018 at 04:09 PM.