Early Sunday Morning in London

Aug 29th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Early Sunday Morning in London

I will be arriving at Heathrow at 6:30 on a Sunday morning in November. Obviously I won?t be able to check into my hotel that early, so the plan is to drop off my luggage and roam. Any suggestions on where to go for breakfast (hotel is on Harrington Rd., near South Kensington tube) or pastries? How about suggestions for what to do before noon on a Sunday for a jet-lagged traveler?

Aug 29th, 2003, 07:20 AM

One of my favorite Sunday's in London was spent roaming Kensington Park. There were people with their dogs, families and tourists of course. It was cool and breezy. The fountains and gardens are beautiful. I walked around Kensington Palace, but not the inside. The giftshop and grounds were free. (The palace was blanketed with construction work though.) There are tons of restaurants on the streets near the park. Don't miss the Peter Pan statue. Have fun.
Aug 29th, 2003, 09:45 AM

On Sunday mornings, there is an outdoor art market on Bayswater Road at the edge of Kensington Park. You can see that, then visit the park (at that end, there is a lovely Italian Garden, at the other end is Kensington Palace, which like jenstu13 we walked around but didn't go in).

That took up our Sunday morning, and it was very nice and relaxing.

Have fun!
Karen
Aug 29th, 2003, 10:02 AM

AOlivier,
We rented a flat around the corner from there, Brompton Road is full of great markets and small cafes. If you are staying at Harrinton Hall, just walk to the end of the street and go either right or left
Great neighborhood! We also stayed there in November, we had excellent weather ~
Aug 29th, 2003, 10:05 AM

AOlivier, while it's a good idea to have back-up plans in case you can't get into your hotel that early, don't just assume you won't be able to do so. If you let the hotel know ahead of time that you'll be arriving early, and if they're not fully booked (which they might not be in November), they may be able to have a room ready for you when you arrive. Maybe I've just been lucky, but on my last couple of trips to London, I've told the hotel that I'll be arriving on a flight that gets in early in the morning, and I've been able to check into my room when I got to the hotel at around 8:30 a.m.

If you can't get into your hotel, then I agree that a walk in Kensington Park or Hyde Park would be a good way to pass the time (not to mention a good way to stretch your legs after sitting on an airplane all night). If the weather is bad, an alternative plan would be to duck into the V&A, which should be pretty close to your hotel. The museum opens at 10 o'clock on Sunday mornings. Admission is free, so even if you're too jet-lagged to focus on anything, you wouldn't feel like you were wasting your money: you could just hang out in the Raphael Gallery and soak up the beauty of the tapestries until it's time to check into your hotel. The museum also has a decent restaurant where you could have breakfast.
Aug 29th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Message: I will be arriving at Heathrow at 6:30 on a Sunday morning in November. Obviously I won to be able to check into my hotel that early, so the plan is to drop off my luggage and roam. Any suggestions on where to go for breakfast (hotel is on Harrington Rd., near South Kensington tube) or pastries? How about suggestions for what to do before noon on a Sunday for a jet-lagged traveller?
I should think your hotel will serve you breakfast, as an extra to the bill. If it does not, a neighbouring hotel will. From then to noon you might
Go to Kensington Olympia underground station with a book, find the waiting room, which is quiet and comfortable, and drowse
Or take one of those three-hour top of the bus tours
or take normal busses from Kensington High street to Trafalgar Square, another two down Whitehall to Westminster and back again, and a fourth to the Tower, sitting on top, with a guide book on your knees
or go to enjoy the music of 10.00 Choral Matins at 1100 or Choral Eucharist at 1115 in Westminster Abbey. You could go upstairs in a bus from your hotel to Trafalgar Square and then a bus down Whitehall to the Abbey
or go to enjoy the age and ceremonial of morning prayer with the Book of Common Prayer and Authorised Version of the Bible at the Chapel of St Peter ad Vincuka inside the Tower. If you ask I can tell you the time of service, I think eleven. You go to the Tower entrance, tell the yeoman warder that you would like to go to morning prayer, bypass everybody, and walk to the chapel. Please do not snore: that is the privilege of the elderly generals and admirals. You could reach the Tower in time by taking tops of busses from your hotel to Trafalgar Square, and Trafalgar Square to the Tower, a total trip of an hour.
or walk up to the Albert Memorial, into Kensington Gardens, across to the Orangery (opens at ten) for coffee and walk along the Serpentine to Hyde Park Corner, beside Buckingham Palace, and along the lake in St James Park (not along the Mall) to Trafalgar Square
or see the Science Museum or Natural History Museum (both free) from ten

Welcome to London

[email protected]

Aug 29th, 2003, 10:56 AM

If you're staying at the Kensington Moat House on Harrington, there's a little pastry/coffee shop across the street that opens at 6:30 a.m. Also, remember that by the time you get through customs, collect your baggage and get into London it will probably be around 9:00 and lots of cafe's will be open. By the way, you can take the Piccadilly tube line direct from Heathrow to the South Kensington stop, which is just across the street and down a few doors from your hotel.)

Across the street from the Moat House is Dino's--a large "diner" type restaurant--can't miss the HUGE sign! It looks a little shabby, but the food--especially Italian--is very good and you can get breakfast there.

If it's a crisp sunny November morning, head one block up to Brompton Road, turn right and look for the French pastry/coffee shop about 1 block down (help me out here, folks, I'm blanking on the name--it's part of a chain...).

Have a great trip!
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice everyone. This will be my first trip outside the U.S. I can hardly wait until November!

AOlivier
Aug 30th, 2003, 09:10 AM

All the advice is good - but don't worry too much about breakfast. They will have fed you breakfast on the plane. It will not be gourmet but it will usually be a full breakfast. So you be able to wander around Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, catch the Sunday morning art show along Bayswater rd, wander Brompton Rd etc. and maybe only need a mid morning snack or early lunch.
Aug 30th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I had this same dilemma earlier this year,and solved it with this plan. All the suggestions so far have been very good,so I'll give you another idea.Take a 2.5 hour guided walking tour with the folks at "London Walks".They have a variety of tours on Sunday morning and you're guaranteed to stay alert the whole time as you usually cover a couple of miles.
They only cost 5GBP and you don't need reservations,just show up at the designated Tube station and off you go.
Heres a link for more info.
http://london.walks.com/
Aug 30th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Janis, do you fly coach? I've flown British Airways, Us Air and Delta overseas and breakfast on the plane has usually consisted of a cold roll, little fruit cup and coffee or tea.
Aug 30th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Well - on my the last 6 flights to London (Virgin, American and United) all provided a full breakfast. Virgin's was the biggest - but all offered eggs of some sort (quiche, scrambled), things like salmon or smoked meats, rolls, pastries, yogurt, fruit, etc. All were in coach.

I have not flown US Air or Delta. Maybe it makes a difference if you are flying from the west coast - since it is a more than 10 hour flight - maybe they feed you more ??? I don't know since I have not flown from the east coast.

Search this Thread