Early Spring Air Sales To Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noticed that some airlines have announced sales to major cities in Europe. Just booked Cincinnati to Paris on Air Canada, 2 people in Economy for $765, late February. Have not seen such values in many years. Preferred seat upgrade $100/seat, Toronto to Paris.

Noted yesterday that Delta also offered significant savings to several European cities out of Chicago.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 07:41 AM

For flights from Europe to America, February has always been the cheapest season. Except that we usually pay less than $400 for a flight to New York City. A return flight, of course.

Why did you tag it with "Albania"?
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Albania was a slip of the finger. Hopefully, moderator can modify.

You are lucky to find value fares from NY. Middle of the US fares are normally >$1100 per seat.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 09:19 AM

I don't consider February to be Spring, but airfares are always lower in some months than others, February being one. It isn't a surprise, it happens every year, just like they are higher in the summer months and then drop late Fall and in winter months, outside holidays (at least to Europe).

Probably could have gotten just as cheap a flight on Lufthansa/United going through ORD/EWR and have less travel time.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 09:22 AM

And fares from the Intermountain west are $1500!
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 09:36 AM

We just returned from France to the US.

Towards the end of August I bought tickets on Delta for $770 roundtrip for Oct. travel US to France.

10/2 MSP to Bordeaux (one easy connection in Paris), with a 10/25 return Toulouse to MSP (one easy connection in AMS). I hadn't seen fares like this for about 10 years so jumped.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 10:19 AM

I just got an email from Air France for special deals beginning in January through March 31 - e.g., $508 RT from Washington, DC, to Paris. Even Icelandair can't beat that.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Christina:

I do not live in DC, I live in Cincinnati. Late February through March is early spring to me. Golf courses are open for play and spring training games have begun. Guess it is a mindset.

Yes, fares are a value in February on many airlines. The schedule routing me from CVG through Toronto to Paris fit my schedule better than United through ORD or EWR. Additionally, I find transiting via YYZ to be much more pleasant that those 2 airports and the AC international service to Europe to be superior versus United, American and Delta as well as many other airlines pre/post-merger.

Just looked at United website and found United fares to be more expensive and less convenient for those dates from CVG to CDG. And I need to make 2 stops versus one stop returning.

Just my opinion and preference.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 02:06 PM

Huggy should be hugging himself/herself. That Air Canada ticket is a genuine bargain, although if it quotes the total fare for two rather than a single ticket it has eluded me. The lowest I turned up on the Air Canada website is around $550 US for the round-trip, one person in late February.

Something peculiar is going on with Air Canada's web sales. I kept uncovering a "beta" version, apparently a test. The fares are higher, not all the possibilities are displayed, and it runs far slower that the site it has been using this year. Here is the standard site: https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/home.html
I found it through the Air Canada Rouge subsidiary catering to tourist vacations.

Air Canada and its competitors crossing the Atlantic expanded capacity this summer but encountered some consumer reluctance, perhaps because of security concerns. Hence the lower prices. Especially low for Americans due to a big discount on Canadian dollars.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 02:16 PM

I just booked roundtrip, non-stop from Newark to Dublin on United in May for $532.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Southam:

I started with Google flights that a previous poster had identified concerning a TAP flight via Porto to Paris. I then found the same flight schedule and price point via the AC website as compared to the Google flight. The AC website used the beta test. I then decided to grab it before any price revision. Whom knows, tomorrow may yield a lower or higher price.

So bottom line, I am hugging myself as you suggested. I have been playing around with a "spring" trip for a couple of weeks and have found nothing stable /anticipated with the airlines websites. I have seen many price fluctuations during this time. I expected to see a price of $765 per person and not for two from my location.

I just returned in September from a trip through Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. I found pricing in Europe to be much more reasonable than in past years with the exception of Switzerland (Ouch.) If you see it and like it, grab it.

The objective of my post was to attempt to alert people that bargain fares were to be had with a bit of work and not to defend myself.