Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Early September weather ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/early-september-weather-235306/)

Gretchen Jun 28th, 2002 05:10 PM

Early September weather ?

Going to Paris the first week of September, I know no one can predict the weather, but can you give me an idea fo what to expect? Do I need a coat, or will a sweater be OK ? Is a room with a/c necessary for early September ? Thanks !

Rex Jun 28th, 2002 06:21 PM

These questions often boil down to how you dress, and you adapt to late summer/early autumn weather where YOU live. If you're from Phoenix, and you wear sweaters the six months out of the year when the high is under 95, then you are going to find Paris cool.<BR><BR>Paris can have weather similar to Maine. Its latitude is actually quite a bit further north. You will surely get some use from a sweater, if you go outside very early in the mornings or later into the evening. I would probably take a jacket - - not necessarily a coat - - and chances are I would wear it some.<BR><BR>Some people don't understand why air conditioning is EVER necessary - - but here in Columbus, Ohio we certainly have ours on during SOME portions of September.<BR><BR>If this question is about which hotel to book - - then I'd say if you want a/c in August, get a hotel that offers it, even though your travel is in September.<BR><BR>If the question is about packing, well then, you can wait until 48 hours before departure and get a better idea - - but I would plan on 1 or 2 lightweight sweaters (more useful than one heavy one), a windbreaker or light raincoat or both.<BR><BR>And tell us where you're from and how you think you would dress for the first football game of the season - - at Dartmouth, for example, And then take into acount how you would dress for that last summer picnic on Cape Cod. Paris will be somewhere in that range in early September.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

checkitout Jun 28th, 2002 06:24 PM

check out past posts, check out the almanac, check out the weather channel, check out weather archieves. Take a coat, sweater, raincoat, umbrella, bathing suit, layers, socks, shoes, boots, handiwipes .. whatever.

Bob Brown Jun 28th, 2002 06:32 PM

My last two visits to Paris have been in very early September. I have found it the weather to be warm enough to be comfortable, and humid. Rain is common, so take an umbrella and a change of shoes because you run a good chance of wet feet.<BR><BR>Is air conditioning necessary? Yes.<BR>I find that I enjoy having it because of the humidity and the street noise.<BR>With AC you can keep the windows shut and the noise out. If it is pouring rain, you will need to shut the windows anyhow, and the AC is very beneficial at that time.<BR>I might try to get by without it in October, but not early September.<BR><BR>I don't think you will need a coat. I usually have some long sleeves along, and a regular man's summer weight sport coat of the blue blazer variety. <BR><BR>Because I am on my way to the mountains of Switzerland when I arrive in Paris, I have warmer clothes in reserve, but I have yet to use them. <BR><BR>I think being prepared for rain is more important. <BR>

Rex Jun 29th, 2002 06:53 AM

topping... since weather questions seem to be popular right now. And I appreciate your chuckle by e-mail, Gretchen. Coming from the Virgin Islands - - yes, you are going to find Paris cooler.<BR><BR>And yet, since you live in paradise, you may have high expectations for climate and comfort. I think i would still opt for a hotel with a/c.<BR>

Wayne Jun 29th, 2002 07:05 AM

Everyone is right. Paris is unpredictable, and the only thing you can count on is that it won't snow in early September. (But they have had snow in late September)<BR><BR>Weather there is never extremely unpleasant in September, so just take enough light and medium-weight clothing to be able to layer it. And a compact folding umbrella with a windbreaker will usually be quite adequate for the cooler and rainier days.

Sherri Kardell Jun 29th, 2002 01:22 PM

Hi Gretchen;<BR>I was in Paris last Sept. around the 3rd and I needed a light coat .It did rain; I have never been to Paris when it did not rain at least once. The weather was mild not too hot or too cold .I wore a skirt and top in the day and took a sweater with me. At night it was pretty much the same thing; it did rain a couple of evenings ; and I was glad I had a few pant outfits and a light water proof coat.<BR>Have fun<BR>Sherri

Leslie Jun 29th, 2002 01:55 PM

Gretchen - If you go onto www.weather.com, click on the "World" tab at the top. Then type in your destination of "Paris, France." You will see the current weather and also a place where you can click on Averages and Records. <BR><BR>This gives historial weather averages, not only month by month, but day by day. Not that this is predictive, but it's less anecdotal than the experience of others.

xxxx Jun 29th, 2002 04:33 PM

no, no,no.....on precisely September 1st God turns the thermostat way down - not a day sooner or later. Best to take thermals and woolies....

Kelsey Jun 29th, 2002 05:11 PM

Maybe you believe that YOUR god does that. My god doesn't take herself quite so anally.<BR>

ttt Jul 29th, 2002 07:14 PM

to the top<BR>