Reload this Page >

Early Planning - June 2010 trip to Barcelona and Paris

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Just starting the planning process for out next trip to Europe. We've been to Paris in 4/07 and 11/08. We just love Paris and have to get our fix whenever we can.

We've decided to make this a longer trip (about 15 days) and include another city in Europe (most likely Barcelona, Spain).

Just a couple of initial questions with regards to Barcelona (pretty much set on Paris Info).

Has anyone here rented an apartment in Barcelona? I've found a couple of nice prospects at a website called At Home Barcelona (http://www.athome-barcelona.com/). Anyone here rented from them?

We are planning to fly from Orlando, FL to Barcelona and then fly home from Paris. Anyone taken the overnight train from Barcelona to Paris? Thoughts/impressions of this train trip are appreciated.

Are there any other train options for traveling between Barcelona and Paris?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM

No info on that specific train, but generally I think it's always worth it to pay the extra for a 2-person sleeper compartment (assuming it's 2 people). You don't want to risk sharing a sleeper with "strange" strangers.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:42 AM

We did the overnight train from Barcelona to Gare d'Austerlitz and it was ok. We had a private room/with bath but since the train stops (at least) four times, you hardly are able to sleep because of the noise. It is not a TGV, it is a Talgo (spanish train). Also in the dining coach smoking was allowed and since we are nonsmokers, it was pretty bad. Maybe that has changed - you would need to find out.
We are doing the same itinerary this fall, but have decided to go to nimes (by train) and from there rent a car and spend three nights around avignon. Then we catch the TGV to paris from avignon.
Another option is to fly to paris by easy jet.
good luck!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM

we rented from at home barcelona in for 8 weeks in feb/mar of 2008 - this gorgeous apartment

http://www.athome-barcelona.com/apartments-372

klaus was very good to deal with.........although a couple of people subsequently reported his email replies were slow.

more pics of this apt on our blog - warning - while we were in bcn the owner was considering selling......

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...ona---our.html

happy to answer ?? - broken arm explains lower case
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM

we rented from Habitat twice, and were satisfied.
Vueling has cheap flights from Paris to Barcelona.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM

Had a lovely 2 BR apartment (Oct 08 ) located in the area known as the Born which we rented form Habitat apartments and were extremely satisfied. We use Vueling airlines to fly within Europe and they have a very easy to navigate website and very low fares...never a problem.

I would be careful about where you chose to rent...some areas have not much "character" and have a lot of traffic. Check our the Born...many walking pedestrian streets, small shops and boutiques we never felt unsafe wandering there late at night and very easy walking to get everywhere and a good metro stop.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. I will certainly look into apartments offered by Habitat in Barcelona.

The info on Vueling was great also. Cheap one way fares between Barcelona and Paris (also much quicker than the train).
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM

I was not a big fan of the sleeper train. Granted, we took it from Rome-Paris in January 2008. But we were doing a budget trip and did the 6-person sleeper car. The shared bathrooms were dirty, sticky with pee on the floor, and by morning, no toilet paper and lots of cigarette butts in the sink.

Plus, two of the other 4 people in the car with us were SICK and I wound up coming down with bronchitis after that train ride! It was fun chatting with one of the other passengers, but honestly, if you're over 25 years old and have the budget to do so, I'd do a private sleeper car, if at all!
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM

We also recommend Vueling over a long haul train ride. Great service, cheap prices. Flew from Barcelona to Madrid yesterday after 4 days in BCN.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 04:53 AM

If you are considering Barcelona, would you be interested in considering another location in Spain? We didn't find it to be as "Spanish" as other places we've been, although it has a lot to offer. We've just spent a month roaming Spain and Mallorca (we're in Madrid now) and I can answer any questions you might have.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Re lemonelephants' comment... I think that Barcelona is a perfect complement to Paris, because you will immediately recognize the similarities between the two and then be able to appreciate the differences. I sometimes describe Barca to people as "if you took Paris, took away all the Frenchmen, and then put it on five miles of beach, you would have Barcelona." The architecture (plus the Gaudi addition, of course) and the "feel" are very much Parisian to me. Add in fabulous food and really terrific people, and it is one of my favorite places in the world.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM

I aree with much of Tejana's comment. I think Barcelona is a great fit - same appproach to life. BTW: There seems to be a South Carolina theme to this thread - Clemson91, LowcountryCarol, and now from Beaufort:Go Cocks!
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM

I haven't been to Paris for at least 3-4 years; tejana's accurate about the feel... For me; however, I prefer a smaller city to reflect the culture and the people of a place; Barcelona's great, though. It has something for everyone.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Booked a Paris to Barcelona flight for next week for 49 Euros on Clickair...there are lots of flying options.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM

hi,

we're spending 4 nights in barcelona this september, followed by 8 nights in paris (return trip as well - gotta get our fix!) ... we're flying into BCN and home from CDG...and taking a 'cheapie' flight with easyjet from BCN to CDG. i think both our tickets cost 70E!! seems WAY better than a sleeper train to me.

can't help you for apartments ... we're staying in onix ramblas while in BCN since we're only there for a few nights.

i'll definitely post my trip report when i return so keep an eye out...