Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Early morning transportation to Rome airport

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 09:00 AM
Diane Olson

We will need to be at the Rome airport at 6:00 a.m. for a flight. Is it possible to take the train at this time from the Vatican area or is it necessary to take a taxi?

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 11:46 AM
Cary

Diane,

Three of us leave tomorrow for a week in Rome. We also to need to be at the airport at 6:00 am for our return flight. Through e-mails with our hotel we determined that the best way to get there was by hiring a private service. The train does not start running that early and the taxis have an additional supplement due to the early hour. Plus they have been striking off and on lately. Hope this information helps. Enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 12:15 PM
Ruth

Diane: we were just in Rome 2 wks ago. We had arranged with the hotel to have a car pick us up at the airport & also because we had a very early flight, a car to take us to the airport in the AM. We were very glad we did because the taxis were on strike the Friday we arrived and the Monday AM we left. Have a great time!!

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 01:33 PM
Sally

We were in Rome a week ago. We stayed at the Pensione Alimandi recommended by Rick Steves near the Vatican. They have a van to take you to the airport at any time for 70,000 lire. It was a big help since there was a taxi strike, and we had a 6:55 AM flight.It just took us half an hour to get to the airport.

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 05:04 PM
Allison Myers

Diane, I had to be at Rome airport at 5.30am recently and a car was organised for us by the people at the apartment we were staying at. It cost 90,000 lire for 4 of us and luggage. I suspect this was too much and a taxi may have been cheaper, however it was a Sunday morning. Have paid 68,000 and 80,000 lire for a taxi from Rome airport to centro.

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 06:55 AM
Joe Cameron

By all means hire a private taxi - your hotel will handle this for you. It's just the only sure way to get to the airport on time at an early hour, and it's worth the money to have that peace of mind.

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 09:24 AM
jim

i was in rome 3 weeks ago for 24 hours, and had a flight leaving at around 12:10pm for the US. i was determined to see the sisting chapel before i left, though i had very little time. i waited in line before 8am, got in at 9am, and literally ran through the museum to the chapel. i began to panic when i just missed a train from termini station leaving at 10:15am or so, and had to wait until 10:45am to get the next train (they only leave every half hour for the airport or so). the cost of the train is about $8-9, and it's certainly the cheapest way to get to the airport. it recall it's about 35-45 minute trip to the airport from termini station. the bottom line is you have to leave yourself enough time (2 hours) from leaving central rome to getting to the airport. and you never know what kind of lines to expect at airports, particularly with international flights, even in the morning. thus, i agree with the other who recommend a cab. if in doubt, pay extra and make sure you get there. cabs cost around $50 to the airport, though.