Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Early morning flight out of Gatwick (LGW)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks!...could use some guidance.

I'll be arriving into LHR on Wed 930PM and have an early Fri. 7AM flight to Rome out of LGW. It will give me one full day in the city (Thursday).

Would it be best just to arrive Wed. night and transfer immediately to a hotel in the LGW area? This way I dont have to deal with trains, traffic etc on the day of depart.

Also, the best way rom LHR to LGW? Bus? Car service?
I have 4 in my party.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a good plan

I think I would take the coach to LGW, book into a hotel there. I tend to use Premier Travel Inn but they are not exactly on station at the airport.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a thought, check with your carrier they may have a cheap car transfer mechanism. I've used Virgin before and they offer a limousine on occasion
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Just a thought, check with your carrier they may have a cheap car transfer mechanism. I've used Virgin before and they offer a limousine on occasion</i>"

Nope -- Unless <i>possibly</i> one is traveling first class -- but even then I'm not so sure. One has to take the National Express coach -- or pay a fortune for a car service or cab.

But my question is why do you want to sat at LGW? You have from Wed night til Fri AM - and it doesn't make sense to stay at the airport two nights. It isn't even totally necessary to stay at LGW on Thurs night -- but that is really up to you since the flight <i>is</i> pretty early.

I'd travel into London Wed night by tube and stay at a hotel at or w/i a couple of blocks of Victoria Station. Explore London all day Thurs and late that night you can take the Express to LGW, check into a nearby hotel -- or even the yotel right at the terminal.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

I am thinking about staying in the city for both nights. Only issue is with timing. First Gatwick Express train leaves VicSta at 5AM. Half-hour ride puts us at LGW at 5:30. Flight is scheduled for 6:50. Enough time?
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Should be OK -- but there are GEX trains before 5AM. There is one at 03:30 and one at 04:30 (4:30 is probably the one I'd choose)

http://www.gatwickexpress.com/en/you...ney/timetable/
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM

Janisj - Virgin do have a limo service for Upper Class - there is no first class on Virgin, Upper is equivalent to business class. You have to be booked in the right booking class though, to be eligible.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 02:07 AM

With 4 people a private car service to Gatwick is cheaper than the GEX. Check out Justairports.com.