Early Help with New Year's Eve 2009 Plans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...I know this is very early, but we just found out we might be able to spend 10-12 days in Spain right after Christmas 2009. We are thinking of spending New Year's Eve in either Madrid, Sevilla or Granada. I know Madrid would probably be everyones choice but we were thinking that maybe we'd like to spend it someplace smaller, like Sevilla or Granada. I'd love to hear any suggestions on where you'd spend New Year's Eve and what you'd do. Thanks for help getting me started on this trip. I think we'll try to spend 3-4 days in each city and maybe if we can squeeze 2-3 more days in go to Lisbon too.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 02:49 AM

I once spent NYE at this place and loved it.
http://www.tablaolosgallos.com/
But you should give us more of a clue as to what you are looking for? Clubs, bars, restaurants, Something like the above?
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 03:45 AM

Amazing coincidence, Ribeirasacra. My 23 year old son just spent New Year's Eve in Sevilla at the same place! I haven't heard details yet, all I know was that the group of four agreed it was great.

If the opinions of 23-24 year old males would be relevant to your decision, AlReady2Go, I will post again when my son is back from traveling.

Laurie
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:23 AM

We are just back from New Years in Sevilla. It was nothing like we expected. The whole place shuts down around 4 pm on New Year's eve. There are no traditional New Year eve partying like you find in the US. There are a few restaurants associated with tourist hotels that are open but all the neighborhood bars and restaurants were closed and closed New Year's day.

Around 11:30 PM the locals begin to gather in the various plazas. We were in the plaza in front of the city hall building in Seville. People bring bottles of bubbly, wine, some snacks and some individual firecrackers are being thrown around but not an organized display. All in all very low key. To insure good luck for the following year, the tradition is to eat 12 grapes, one each on the stroke of clock tower. A few of the bottles of "champagne" were shot into the air so you need to be careful of a cheap champagne shower. Everyone drifted out of the plaza, very friendly, lots of wishing everyone a festive new years in Spanish, lots of kids and family present and a very safe environment. We were back to our hotel by 12:30 AM. The hotel had a fifth story roof top garden. We took our wine there and joined a number of other tourists who were just milling about - no Americans. In the distance all around us we could see some organized fireworks.

New Year's day was equally low key -- no football. Lots of people and families in the streets. We visited many of the outdoor sites and some were crowded but few restaurants open. The day before a tour guide has told us what to expect. So we hit the local grocery and stocked up on wine, cheese, meat, bread, fruit and enjoyed all of our meals on our roof top garden.

We enjoyed it but it was different. Little emphasis on the traditional American Christmas -- no green Christmas trees with ornaments, no Santa Clause. Gifts are brought by the Three Kings on Jan 5th. We were staying in the heart of old Sevilla about ten minute walk from the Seville cath.

I am guessing that New Years in Granada would be similar and Madrid more lively.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so far...guess I should have been a little more specific on what we're looking for...probably a nice restaurant...not really party goers. Ribeirasacra, would love to hear more details on Los Gallos...did they have dinner there and the show? Not crazy about wild crowds but it would be nice to be where people have some sort of celebration. Fmpden, from your description, am I correct that not much is open on Jan. 1st? Did you do any sightseeing then? We'd probably only have 4 days in Sevilla so 2 of those would be New Year's Eve and New Year's Day...leaving not a lot of time for sightseeing if things are closed then. Anyone been in Granada for NYE...I think I read that Jan. 2nd is a holiday there? Any ideas for other places in Spain for NYE?

Thanks again...
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:03 PM

I think you can easily see Sevilla in the time you have. There really only two major items to see -- the Cathedral and the Alcazar. We arrived late in the afternoon of Dec 30th. Saw a flamenco show at Casa de la Memoria de Al-Andalus which is a cultural center and generally regarded as more authentic than the more staged flamenco shows stage at other locations. Didn't see any of the other shows so cannot compare. Had a later dinner at one of the recommended tapas bars.

The Los Gallos is a staged show with a bar but not a restaurant. The first evening we noticed several signs advertising (in English) a Flamenco New Years Eve party at different locations ranging in price from 100 to 250E per person.

New Year's eve day we took a wonderful, 2 hr walking tour of the old city with Concepcion Delgado. She gave a good orientation to the Seville and what to expect for New Years. During the PM we did some shopping, wondered around, and bought food supplies for the next day. Around 3 pm had a late lunch at a Tapas Bar in the Santa Cruz area. Cheap and fun. True to her word, everything begin shutting down around 4 pm. Our evening was spent as I posted earlier.

New Year's Day nearly everything was closed. A restaurant in a large hotel near us was open. We spent the day on a couple self-guided walking tours, visting the Plaza de Espana, the back gardens of the Alcazar, walked along the Guadalquivir river, saw the Bull Ring which was open. Along the way found a couple of coffee/pasty shops open and a couple of small prepared (take away) sandwich shops.

The next day we were at the Alcazar at 10 AM when it opened and at 1pm had tour of the Cathedral with Concepcion, climbed the tower and caught the 5PM train to Granada. Earlier in the day we had supplemented our food supplies so we were able to have a very good picnic dinner complete with a couple of bottles of wine on the 3 hr train ride to Granada. Remember you are on the Med schedule. Nothing happens till 10 AM, lunch at 2, and dinner after 8.

I think Granada would be exactly the same since the area is very close culturally to Seville. IF you looking for an American style NYE in a restaurant with other tourists you can find it in a few restaurants that cater to that. On the other I would rather be eating grapes in Plaza Nueva and ducking champagne shows at the stroke of midnight. But that is my preference.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fmpden, that's sound like a perfect time in Sevilla...can I ask you a few more questions? The walking tour you did of the old city with a guide...was that a private tour or a group tour? and did you book it before you got to Sevilla? Was the hotel you stayed in located in the Santa Cruz area or else where? That seems like the most lively area from reading the other posts on the forum. I think leaving for Granada on a late afternoon train sounds like a great suggestion...did you arrive in Granada on the 2nd and did you find they were celebrating a holiday? I thought I read someplace that Jan. 2nd was a holiday in Granada?

I know I have a lot more research to do before we make our decision on where to go and what to do but your information is a great help...thanks again.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM

It was a group tour we had reserved ahead of time. BUT, a small group. She does the city tours every other day at 10 and the other day is a Cathedral tour at 1300. She is one of Rick Steves's guides. She was very good and reasonable. We had contacted her via email a couple days earlier when we were in Cordoba.

We were on the NW edge of Santa Cruz area off a narrow street. Have to walk a half a block or so from where the cab drops you. Maybe a five minute walk to the Cathedral.

There was nothing happening on the 2nd in Granada that we were aware of. The big celebration both in Granada and Seville is Jan 6. It is their gift exchange day like Christmas is here. Gifts are delivered by the Three Kings on Jan 5 eve. Since we left on the 5th from Malaga we did not see anything of it. Was told that there would be late afternoon parades with most businesses and public transit shutting down around 1600 (4 PM). Very similar to our Christmas eve.

The sun time is much different than here. The sun was not really up until well after 8 and didn't set until 6:30/7:00 pm which made it nice for late afternoon early evening activities.

You can contact me directly off-line if you like.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Personally, I would think that Madrid and Granada may be a bit too cold during that time of year. So I would opt for Sevilla, too.

The parades for Three Kings Day (Jan 6) are in the evening hours of Jan 5, though. Those "cabalgatas" are pretty massive celebrations in the major cities, though I have not seen the one in Sevilla myself. The cabalgatas are a bit like mardi gras or carnival parades with floats, lots of music, stands for food and drinks, and so on.
I found it very nice as we don't have that where I live.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

fpmden and Cowboy1968...thank you both so much for the great info..I'm out of town right now and don't have much time to read/answer...I'll be back next week and start really trying to do more research and figuring out time and places...please let me know of anything else you think of that I should plan for...I'm very grateful for your help in getting me started...you're great!
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM

AlReady2Go
sorry about not answering your question. When I was at tablao we had plenty to pick all night the stuff just kept coming, the same with the drinks too.
But it does seem you have other choices to make. Personally I find a comment like it will be too cold a bit?????, as when I was in Seville the high was about 7 Cent. with a lot of rain. But it did not stop us enjoying the city. The rain and wind made it seem even colder.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 05:53 AM

.....think that Madrid and Granada may be a bit too cold during that time of year......

Too cold for WHAT ??? Have no idea what that means !! I suppose it is all relative. We live in the Denver area which is nearly the same latitude as Seville, Granada so the temperature was similar to what we are accustom to during that time of year. We only had two days of bright sun and one day of heavy rain. The rest of the time it was overcast with a little light rain from time to time. We were prepared with several light layers of clothing that could be adjusted to the temperature and we were fine. If you are from Florida or So Ca you probably will think that it is freezing and, for you, it probably is. The weather had no impact on our activities other than we only opted for outside seating a couple of times.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I'm not too concerned about cold/rain/snow etc...I'm use to traveling in all sorts of conditions and its never stopped me from doing what I want to do. I'm more concerned on what I should do once I'm at a destination...you've all given me lots of great info and as soon as I have a little more time I'm sure I'll be back with lots more questions. You are all so kind to share your thoughts and experiences and I'd love to hear any more suggestions for things you've done in Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Seville and Granada...I don't want to miss anything. Thanks...
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM

A good guide book covers most of these area pretty well. I will be glad to answer your specific questions but don't want to write the Cordoba chapter.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM

I thought I had posted our travel schedule earlier but guess not. We fly into Madrid and home from Malaga. The schedule was Madrid - 2 nights, Cordoba - 1 night, 3 nights in Seville and 3 in Granada. That is a more intense trip than we normally do but were pinched for time. Toledo could be a day trip out of Madrid but the cities we hit were more in a straight line. Toledo is off to the side.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks fmpden...your itinerary sounds like what I was thinking...and I think you did it at about the same time we're thinking of going...we might add an extra day or two in Madrid to visit Toledo and then maybe two to three days to Lisbon after Granada if we can work that out. I've been swamped at work so haven't had time to get out and pick up a few good guide books...a few minutes on this board is all I've had lately to start my research and with the great information I've gotten has given me a good start and really got me excited. Do you mind sharing your hotel experiences? We'll be 2 couples and are very flexible and enjoy finding places with a lot of character and atmosphere. Thanks again.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM

If you are going to Lisbon, I would put Granada after Cordoba and then Seville so that you are not back tracking. Or do Lisbon after Madrid BUT, if you only have 10 to 12 days, you don't time especially for Lisbon. Save it another trip. For the ten days we had, our schedule was really jammed.