Early Flight Out of Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off to Greece in a couple days for a long weekend, and we'll be flying out of Athens again on Monday morning. It's a very early flight though: 6:30 am! How early should we plan to be at the airport? We're flying on Aegean Airlines, to Germany. I'm not sure how the normal 2 hour rule applies so early in the morning. (Our hotel does know we have to check out early.)

Also, how should we go about getting from the hotel in downtown Greece to the airport? How much time should we plan for this?

Thank you! I'll try to write a trip report for you all, if the work doesn't pile up too badly while I'm gone.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM

I personally have found that in the busy summer months the airports in Greece can get very very crowded & yes you will need to be there at least 2 hours early due to the long lines. If you are staying in a hotel, most can get a taxi for you but should find out their procedure for doing this (how much in advance you should let the hotel know) I have found that trying to hail a taxi on your own in certain parts of Athens to be very difficult & can take a long time (so its best to dispatch it through the hotel) Good luck & have fun!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

I'll be sure to ask at the hotel when we arrive. Still 2 hours ahead at 6 am though? I don't want to get to the airport and not be able to get in.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:37 AM

The airport is never closed, you will be able to 'get in'. Flights arrive at all hours of the day and night, just like any other busy international airport.

Someone at the hotel can tell you how long it takes by taxi to get to the airport, but I think it's about 45 minutes. Plan to be at the airport 1.5-2 hours in advance of your flight, which means leaving your hotel no later than 4:15 am. I hate those 'hurry up and wait' situations, but this one can't be avoided. Your hotel will arrange a taxi to pick you up when you specify, just let them know sometime the day before.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Ahh, thank you. That makes sense. Just thought it would be best to check, since I know some airports do close. I'll plan on the couple hours ahead of time... can always try to nap at the airport. Now, to twiddle my fingers until the outgoing flight tomorrow!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Ivy

We recently had a crack of dawn flight out of venice and got to the airport abuot 1.5 hours early. The airport may be open, but the desks will most likely be closed at that hour. You can still get on line though ONLY if you know what line to get on! The airport in Venice did not post which airline would be at which reservation desk until 5:00 when everything openend!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:33 PM

I also understand that the meter rates double in Athens for trips between 12:30 and 5:30 am so it may cost you quite a bit. It was 22 euros for our taxi ride from downtown to the airport at 8am.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:59 PM

the price from downtown to airport at 3:30 am for 2 is about 20-25 euros or so -- about the same as it is otherwise. The desks at the Athens airport, at least for some of the airlines, are open all night. I always go 2 hours early on international flights, because I like to allow for everthing possible that could go wrong at, for example, security screening. I'd rather wait extra time at the airport than take the risk of missing my flight.
As others have said, ask the desk clerk to arrange for a taxi. At the time of the morning that you are going to the airport, there will be virtually no traffic, and should take about 30 minutes.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:00 PM

One more thing -- although I always worry about the taxi showing up on time and so generally add 15 minutes to my time calculation to allow for a late taxi, I have never ever had a taxi show up late at that time of the morning, when the taxi has been prearranged.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Just got back, and wanted to let everyone know how it did work out. Our hotel did call a taxi for 4 am, and we whizzed right onto the airport, getting there in about 20 minutes. He didn't double charge, though I heard that they would at one point. It ended up being about 28 euros including luggage (my friend seemed to feel it was necessary to bring three different changes of outfits per day, for the weekend), and we got there in plenty of time to wait around for 2 hours. No time to write a full report now, but watch for one in the not so distant future.