Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Early December---where to stay around Siena/Tuscany?

Early December---where to stay around Siena/Tuscany?

Oct 15th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Early December---where to stay around Siena/Tuscany?

Two friends are coming to visit me in Bologna and want to go to the antiques market in Arezzo the first weekend in December. We can rent a car, and would leave from Bologna Friday early/mid afternoon and are thinking of doing 2 overnights.

I just came back from the Perugia area so don't want to head that way but have not been in Siena for years (actually decades....) but remember loving it. No interest in staying in Arezzo. Should we stay in Siena or somewhere outside of town? Suggestions of places?

Thanks, Kathy
Oct 25th, 2010, 10:04 AM

I have stayed in Cortona, in a place called Borgo di Vagali, its a rustic 14th century medical village, converted to rental cottages.
For a 2 bedroom it was 200 euros in May 2 years ago ( kitchen, 2 bathrooms etc).
I totally loved it... staying outside town give you better prices, so thats always a plus.. depends on what you are looking for!
Oct 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM

In Dec. I would stay in Siena--or at least where you can easily walk into Il Campo. The Santa Caterina hotel fits that bill and has parking--just outside the Porta Romana gate.
Oct 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM

We stayed at the Palazzo Ravizza, inside the walls, and has parking.

www.palazzoravizza.com
Oct 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM

k-nj (if I may call you that!)

Why no interest in staying in Arezzo? Its got great food, art, architecture, a unique history, wonderful train connections and less tourism than everyplace else in that area.
Oct 25th, 2010, 08:58 PM

I stayed at Palazzo Ravizza in September 2009. For the price, I was not impressed with the worn rooms and furnishings but the sunset view from my room was terrific! Breakfast was not even close to mentionable. And, the parking was handy.
Oct 26th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi Zeppole--call me Kathy since it is my name!

Zeppole, Bob, Joannyc, Sue878, Ash 318

Decided to stay at Alma Domus in Siena. Maybe you are right (Zeppole) about Arezzo but I haven't been in Siena in years and would like to spend a bit of time there....There are 3 of us females going together so getting inexpensive singles at Alma Domus was good for us. We will be going to the antiques/flea market in Arezzo so will see it Sunday anyhow then head back to Bologna. Will post after and thanks all!

Search this Thread