Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eagles Nest and Konigsee in one day? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eagles-nest-and-konigsee-in-one-day-92027/)

ofelia Oct 30th, 2000 10:12 AM

Eagles Nest and Konigsee in one day?

<BR> <BR>Is it possible to combine the trip to Eagles nest and the boat tour of Konigsee in one day? I am trying to allocate no of days in my itenerary. Have anybody experienced both of these in one day? is it too tight? <BR> <BR>thanks, <BR>ofelia <BR>

Dawn Oct 30th, 2000 10:39 AM

ofelia, <BR> <BR>My husband and I just returned last week from Germany. We did go to the Eagle's Nest, but had to leave early that afternoon to get back to Munich. If you get to the Eagle's Nest early, you should be able to do both. We were there by 10:00 in the morning, and were done before 12:00. While riding down in the famous brass elevator, couldn't believe how long the line was on our exit.

Emily Oct 30th, 2000 10:43 AM

For the Eagles Nest, you need a minimum of 2-3 hours for the bus trip up, the elevator wait, and time to site see at the summit. If it is a busy day, you may have to wait for a bus up and a return bus down. What month are you going? If the weather is not clear in the morning, save this trip for the afternoon when you may be able to appreciate the view. <BR>The tour of the Konigsee would take a minimum of 3-4 hours depending on your wait for boats and if you spend time at the monastery or any of the other stops. If the morning is foggy, the boats do not leave until the fog clears. <BR>Hope this helps!!

Kim Oct 30th, 2000 10:43 AM

Ofelia, <BR> <BR>We did the Eagle's Nest, but not Konigsee earlier this month. If you get to the Eagle's Nest very early, the whole trip should take 2- 2 1/2 hours tops, unless you decide to eat at the restaurant. On the bus ride up, they give you a suggested amount of time to spend, but it's way too mucn unless you plan on doing a lot of hiking and eating in the restaurant. Just be sure to schedule your return trip on the bus before you take the elevator ride up. If you have a car, doing both in one day shouldn't be a problem! have a great trip! The views at the Eagle's Nest are incredible! <BR> <BR>Kim

ofelia Oct 30th, 2000 12:29 PM

<BR>thanks for all the responses. <BR>our travel date is late May. <BR>What will be the weather like at this time? <BR>What is the probability of not getting <BR>a good view? <BR> <BR>thanks, <BR>ofelia

Bob Oct 30th, 2000 04:05 PM

It is Germany and you always prepare for rain. Hopefully you luck out and get very little. You should be able to do both trips in one full day depending on crowds and weather. If you cannot see the top of the mountain, forget about Eagles Nest.

Ann Oct 30th, 2000 06:07 PM

Ofelia, we just returned from doing both in one day during September... it is definitely doable, but you need to be driving and you need to be aware that you will be unable to spend a lot of time hiking around St. Bartholoma at the end of the boat ride. However, you will have time to follow the trail behind the chapel through the forest to a bridge that crosses a beautiful, crystal-clear creek with small rapids/waterfall in front of another small chapel. It's a good place for a picnic if you're there early. May is usually a wonderful time to be in Germany (one of the two best months, September being at the top). But do plan on being in the first wave to the Eagle's Nest, and going straight on to the lake afterwards... Have fun!

Jochen Oct 31st, 2000 01:29 AM

Ofelia, late May is possibly the best time of the year to visit this area. Chances for good weather are high, the meadows are full of beautiful flowers, and it is far less crowded than July, August, and even September. I agree with the previous posters that Königsee and Eagle's Nest are doable in one day. It is worthwile to take the boat to the far end of Königsee ( Saletalm ). This place is less crowded than St. Barthlomä, and you can make a short hike to another wonderful lake, the Obersee. In case you run out of time you might consider to skip Eagle's Nest and to take the cable car to the top of the Jenner mountain instead. The view is equally beautiful, and this trip is easier to combine with Königsee because the base station of the cable car is very close to the Königsee parking lot. <BR>However, you'll miss the 'Hitler was here' feeling ... <BR> <BR>Happy travels ! <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen

Peter Oct 31st, 2000 09:12 AM

I think both can be done in one day with no problem as well as adding a quick cable car ride to Jenner. Jenner cable car and Konigsee Lake (boat tour) share the same parking lot. view from the Eagles Nest is really nice - not to be missed. Once the bus takes you to the elevator enterance (there is a English Tour - do not waste your money or time, for 50 word dialog you will pay 7DM), just show your bus ticket and go straight to the elevator - which will take you to the top. On Top walk pass the cross to see really magnificent views. On the way back stay to the left ,passing the restaurant/elevator on your right - keep walking to the path down to the bus meeting place (where you took the elevator up). Walk is about 15min. and smooth down the hill with many rest areas, with some really nice views. <BR>Jenner - the cable car will take you to the restaurant/bar with some real nice views. You can walk up from the restaurant to the peak (following a path from restaurant (about 30min or so and it is a little uphill so I would not recommand if you are older or with a heart condition). Boat trip is very relaxing, boats are very quite and the view is great.

Ann Oct 31st, 2000 05:35 PM

Ofelia, since others have brought up the Jenner, I would add that if you are energetic and fit and have the time, a ride up the Jenner via cable car and a hike down is just a spectacular way to spend the day. You will get a picture-postcard view of Konigssee from the trail, and share a companionable but somewhat physically challenging walk (even though it is all downhill) with others along the route. Do take a camera, and do take a snack so you can stop enroute at one of the rock-topped huts. When we were there in September, we shared a meadow beside a tiny creek outside one of the huts with bell-wearing cows and a pony. Fantastic scenery!!

ofelia Oct 31st, 2000 06:54 PM

<BR>thanks to all of you who responded. <BR>I really appreciate it. <BR>this forum is really a great help. <BR> <BR>thanks, <BR>ofelia <BR>