e-Visa & Sabiha Gökçen airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how much time you save going through immigration at SAW if you get an e-Visa instead of buying a sticker visa at the airport?

How long does getting a sticker visa typically take?

I'm sure it varies by time of day and day of the week. I'll be arriving around 8 AM on a Monday, and it looks like there are 2 other int'l flights that are scheduled to arrive at about the same time. Certainly a flight's being early or late will affect how long immigration takes as well.

Thanks!
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 12:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the cost is the same what is the issue whether you save 10 minutes or half an hour, which would probably be the maximum amount of time?
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 05:10 AM

You are going to wait for your luggage to be unloaded anyhow.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

otherchelebi - I will be there only a few hours but want to get out and see some f the Asian side. Every minute counts!

I am going other places first. Don't want to print visa at home and have to tote it around until I reach Turkey (especially if I have to keep it from getting wrinkled or folded) and don't know if I will have access to a printer where I will be before that. But if it saves me considerable time to do so, I can try.

Southam - Probably carry-on only, which I know argues for buying/printing it ahead of time—if not for the concerns I mentioned to otherchelebi.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cranachin,

Unfortunately, SAW airport is a very bad location to go out and see anything if you have less than six hours or more.

It is about 40 kilometres from any worthwhile location to visit on the Asian side. The fastest route is the TEM motorway which is not scenic, passing through mostly industrial zones.

I-5 usually has very heavy traffic and is even more industrial.

The coastal road is nice but also has heavy traffic. Will take you possibly one hour or more to get to an area where you will have interesting sites to see except for views of the Princes' Islands.

If you wait for public transport, you will be looking at 3 hours trip both ways to and from Kadikoy or Harem which are the worthwhile areas to get to, plus the possibly 90 minutes arrival before your flight, your visit needs to be any period you allow yourself over four and a half hours to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

otherchelebi,

I will have 7 hours—enough time to get out and see a little if the plane is not late. The highlights of Kadiköy are fine with me. I have family who have been there, so seeing some of the things they saw would be fun. Not quite like going to the European side, but it beats sitting in the airport for hours.

I guess another concern is if my flight is late arriving at SAW. If it is very late, I don't want to have spent $20 for an e-Visa I can't use. So I guess I have to decide which is more important—being able to skip the visa line but possibly being out $20 if the flight is late, or having to wait in line longer but saving the $20 if my flight is late.