Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

e-mail address from E. Europe - yahoo or hotmail?

Jun 1st, 2000, 05:48 AM
Pauline

Advice please! Which service is more consistently reliable from Hungary - hot mail or yahoo? Last year in Poland I had terrible trouble getting access using my hot mail address. So, am trying to decide which account to set up when I go to Hungary this Summer. Any tips?

Jun 1st, 2000, 06:10 AM
frank

Not much difference here in UK...hotmail is a wee bit more prone to geek attacks being MSoft.
For your purpose I'd use Yahoo & set up a "My Yahoo" page (easy, takes a few mins) with weather reports for the areas you intend to visit plus all the stuff you want to keep an eye on while you are away, eg stocks, news,flights etc.

You can access your mail through this page, it tells you if you have mail, also it saves you spending time going from site to site in foreign internet cafes.
Your probs in Poland were probably more to do with telcoms than anything else, Yahoo would have been the same.
Or do both!

Jun 1st, 2000, 09:47 AM
cp

Yahoo all the way.

It is the Switzerland of browser based e-mails.

Jun 1st, 2000, 10:19 AM
Mary Ann

We used Yahoo in Hungary and the Czech Republic among other coutries last fall and had no problems. (Got updates on weather too!!!)

Jun 1st, 2000, 11:13 AM
Paul

Another vote for Yahoo. I used them in Internet cafes in Italy the last 2 years, and never had a problem. Available from anywhere, and simple to use.