Search

DVD's in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD's in Europe

I do a lot of reading on this site, and know that if anyone can help me, you good folks can. I am planning a trip to Europe in October, and am blessed to be invited to 3 of my friends' homes. I want to thank them for their hospitality and will send them a package of uniquely Hoosier items upon my return. One thing I would like to add to that is the recently released Hoosiers DVD Special Edition (what could be more quintesentailly "Hoosier" than that?), but I don't know if DVD players in Europe will play American DVDs. I know that European VCRs don't play American tapes, so I thought I'd check before buying.

Does anyone know?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:54 AM

I top this for you and hopefully you'll get a technical explanation.

My non-tech explanation is that it depends on whether their DVD player is 'region-free'
US DVD's are region 1 so can't be played on most European players which play region 2 DVD's
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:05 AM

Most European DVD players do not play American DVD's. Some players are dual system, and I've heard that you can have your DVD player adapted to take American DVD's, but generally; no, it doesn't work.
Besides that, I have no idea what a Hoosier DVD would be.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I was afraid of that, but I'm glad I checked first. And to Tulips, I could make a crack about a Hoosier DVD not knowing what time it is in but I won't as the subject remains sensitive in these parts. I meant the DVD of the movie "Hoosiers" starring Gene Hackman.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 10:17 AM

The amazon.com web site has an informative blurb on DVDs and videotapes that can be used in various parts of the world. Very useful.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 11:03 AM

It is the same game as with mobile phones, any European DVD player can play US DVDs, but many are locked to Region2 (=Europe) only. Unlocking with the remote control is easy, but you need to get the info how to do so on the internet. TV standards (NTSC and PAL) are no longer a problem, virtually all current players can transcode both standards on the fly.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:34 PM

Why don't you see if amazon.co.uk has the European version of the DVD and have it shipped to your friends?
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:46 PM

many europeans have multi-region dvds that would play your dvd without a problem, however, many also don't.

i would not bring a gift that can't be used or would require your friends to hack their dvd player in order to play it (even though it is not that difficult)...not a thoughtful gift idea.

i'm sure you wouldn't be too thrilled in receiving a region 2 dvd that you could not play without modifying your equipment.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:58 PM
africa_lover

i am european, and if my husband brings me DVD's from the STates, we play them on our computer, that works just fine (don't ask for technical explanations!) but they don't work on the regular DVD player

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM

We just took a DVD from Canada to London and it played fine on their DVD player..I don't either know the technical terms, that is my husbands department, but we were surprised that it worked!!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 11:42 PM

It all depends weather the DVD player is unlocked and you really cant expect them to hack the player only for your gift to work. It only involves pressing a few buttons on the remote. The PC DVD drive is locked too. You can change DVDs only 5 times from European to US DVD Versions and vice versa. After tat its permanently locked too to either Europe or the US DVDs. It can of course be hacked, but just imagine, your gift causes their DVD drive to no longer be able to play European DVDs. What a nice surprise...
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:12 AM

Europe is region 2 DVD`s. Some people have multi- region players but you should play safe and take region 2 only.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:49 AM

I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware all DVD players are multi-region but they are set to regions 1 or 2 depending on their location. When I bought mine I did a quick google search, inputting the name and code, and found the method to convert it to multi-region. To this day I can play any DVD. It takes next to no time to do.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:05 AM
PJI

We live in Europe and have an american dvd player/dvd's. We loan our DVD's to our neighbors to watch and all they had to do was get online and find the way to "unlock" their player. They borrow our movies all the time, no problem getting "locked out" after a certain number of times.

I don't think it would be an appropriate gift only because it would require an effort on their end to unlock their player to be able to watch it. But if they just LOVE the Hoosiers and would be willing to go through the trouble to unlock their player, then send it.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Of course I don't want to cause any trouble or extra effort with a gift, so I'll find something else appropriate and guaranteed universal. Like I said, I'm glad I asked before I bought!

Thanks again!