duty free liquor Athens

Search

duty free liquor Athens

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duty free liquor Athens

We are traveling from the US to Athens and then transferring to a local airline to Santorini. Although we plan on drinking wine throughout our trip in Greece, we enjoy an Absolute vodka martini (or 2!) at cocktail hour watching the sun down. In some countries we have visited in our travels, our drink of choice (Absolute Vodka or equivalent) has either been hard to find, extremely expensive OR extremely cheaper than in the USA. We are wondering whether we should (or whether we can) purchase a couple of bottles while in the Athens airport to bring to Santorini. We made the mistake of purchasing liquor in the US on our way to Mexico a few months ago on the advice of friends. We found out we were able to purchase it in the airport in Mexico when we arrived and it was cheaper. Any advice on this? Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:11 PM

There is no duty free shop in Arrivals at Athens Airport. The only duty free is in the International Departures area, and you would have to go through passport control to get there, so that would be impossible. Security is at the individual departure gates, and if you buy liquids in the Domestic Departures area it would be confiscated when found in your carry-on luggage. The only way I can think you could bring Absolut with you is if it is packed in your checked luggage. Supermarkets do sell spirits, but I'm not sure what is available in Santorini
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:49 PM

I don't know if Absolute Vodka is cheaper in Greece, but what i know is that you can find it in any supermarket all over Greece with the only exception of Mount Athos....

On Santorini you won't have a problem finding it
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Clausar! It is a different case in every country we visit.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:25 AM

There are no duty free on arrival shops in Athens or Santorini and you cannot buy in Athens as it is an "internal flight". You can buy it US and put it in your luggage before the Santorini flight. There are plenty of supermarket places to buy good quality vodka in Santorini. You can check your duty free allowances on this website if you buy in the US to take there http://www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/...ces/754/80/259